Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been loking around for an 8n beater to brushog and maintain the food plots at our deer camp in upstate Pa. I was at a garage sale over the weekend and I know the owner has fords and he knows I have fords so we started talk about tractors. He was looking to make a little room because he has too many (4). He said he didn't want to just scrap it and nobody would want without a three point. It used to have a fork lift on the back and where it was connected to the toplink the housing was broke. He was making a big deal about how good the tires were and he could use them on his other Tractor. So I offer him thre hundred dollars and told him I would take the wheels rims off so he could keep them for his other tractor. I gave him my # and told him to think about it. He called yesterday and told me to come and get. BTW it runs and drives. Those wheels/tires are spares off another one of my tractors. All I have to do is switch it out with one of the many back ends I have laying around and we'll have a good tractor for up state.
My wife and I went to pickup the grandkids yesterday and when coming up the driveway the 10 year sez looks like Tractor overboard. My wife didn't think that was cute and I got the tractors are out of control speach. I'm picking up another '51 w a sherman today so I guess she's right. She don't know about the Hi-crop cub I'm going to look at saturday.

Kirk

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i like the crawler inthe pic.

on that N pictured.. does it even have a top cover and pump? can't tell from the pic.. but looks almost like a delete plate on the top cover..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No top cover just some fabbed up steel with pieces out of the side to hold the forklift. Pump cover looks standard but we'll see when I open her up. PTO seal is leaking. Just planning to unbolt the back half of the tractor and roll another one into place. will only have to change one gasket.
Here are a couple shots of the '49 cletrac HG68.

Kirk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
if youre gonna be overboard tractors are the way to go, that crawler is great!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got to split the '51 beater. Drained out all the creamy color fluids.Unbolted the steering box and moved it up about 3/4" just to see if I was lucky enough to get another sherman. But no such luck. I kind of figured the sherman was long gone by the bolt head on the side of the case where the combo lever was but I had to check anyway. Went out back and located a parts tractor, took a hand crank with me. Engauged the pto lever, clutch out in neutral, spun the engine with the hand crank and the 3pt arms came right up. I wanted to make sure it worked before I moved everything out of the way and went through the trouble of splitting it.
I move the other '51 I picked up Thursday (some assembly required). PO was had done some primer coating so after checking thing out I'll hit with a coat of red. Most of the tin and other small stuff was sand blasted and primed. The axle and the carrier will need to be replaced on this one because this tractor had a loader on it and the kingpin and bushing were shot and waddled out the hole pretty bad but that's no biggy I've got plenty of spares.
All in all it was a good day yesterday except for when I went to change out the center disc on the tires I will be putting on the '51 beater. I drop the rim after taking out the bolts and the disc came out catching the valve stem and busting it. This will cost a little time and money. I hate when that happens because it was all my fault and could have be prevented.
The last photos are why my wife complains. And you can't see the 4 in the barn and more out back and in the garage. I have a big barn and 3 car garage and I do most of my work on a gravel driveway???

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Kirk,
Wow! Mind if I show my wife? She might back off a little about my stuff:) Very nice collection of tractors and parts tractors too! Nice little Ford your bringing back to life and saving from the scrap heap.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Kirk-NJ said:
Went out back and located a parts tractor, took a hand crank with me. Engauged the pto lever, clutch out in neutral, spun the engine with the hand crank and the 3pt arms came right up. I wanted to make sure it worked before I moved everything out of the way and went through the trouble of splitting it.
Man! you do stuff the hard way :) spinning the engine to check the 3pt.

they way I do it is DISENGAGE the pto, move the 3pt control up and then spin the pto shaft!! shaft turns the pump no matter what.. if 3pt control is up.. and system works.. arms come up.

no drag from the trans or engine to have to muscle over! :) :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I know you can do it that way and have done it that way but every once in a while I'll throw some AFT down the plug hole and rotate the engine just to keep it losse and the valves from sticking and it was about time I did it on this tractor.
Split the other tractor Saturday clean it on and after cleaning out the other one made the install. Fill the fluids this morning and hooked up the 3pt loaded platform. Picked up the 3pt and shut the engine down. Returned in about 4 hours and it hardly moved. I took it for a ride and hit the brakes which weren't stop. Decided before taking the drum off I would try to ajust them. Much to my surprise they came right up and stop quite nice. I also changed the black engine oil. Still have to put a new tube in and put the fenders back on and ad a tool box but this project is quickly come to an end. I might power wash it before I take it up state But no paint will be added to this baby. Riding in the overgrown woods would destroy the paint in a couple of passes.
Photos are of my friend Bill giving me a hand with the install and the tractor with the loaded platform

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
yep.. i've been quite surprised a few times on brakes. bought a 660 some time back.. virtually no brakes at all.. was bracing for a brake job when i decided to adjsut them. 100% brakes after that.. :)

G

·
0 Posts
First Ford I bought was a 41 9N. Had no brakes at all. Popped the drums off and the shoes were brand new. Axle seals let go and soaked em. Used the propane torch trick and had great breaks (and new sure seals)

·
Registered
269 Posts
There are much worse hobbies. Remind your wife that when she is a widow she can fund a lot of singles trips etc by gradually selling off your collection.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Nice progress. Yes, you have a lot of stuff but you keep it neat and tarped. I keep my front yard/front of the house neat, all my stuff in back.

My wife is the hoarder around here, started bringing home "curb furniture" last year or two, she did faux finishes on stuff and sold a couple pieces, but unless you have a gallery or little shop the stuff does not move on Craigslist and then she'd spend six or 8 hours on something just to sell it for 65 bucks, just isn't worth it. Meanwhile the whole mother in law apartment attatched to the garage it stacked with stuff, just a path from the bed to the bathroom, and I counted 5 or 6 just coffee tables at one time!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
petra79 said:
First Ford I bought was a 41 9N. Had no brakes at all. Popped the drums off and the shoes were brand new. Axle seals let go and soaked em. Used the propane torch trick and had great breaks (and new sure seals)

ford 9n, the original 'wet brake' machine ;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Forgot to mention that the old housing did have a hydraulic pump in it. It appears to be in good shape. The lever that controls the 3pt had to be freed up from non use. My friend Bill is going to use it on one of his projects.

Kirk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts