Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, new to this hobby and we are looking for a tractor recommendation. we have a son with special needs who loves motorsports. We built a derby car together but it got totaled when he ran it into a concrete block in turn one. Luckily he wasn't hurt.
we went to a tractor pull and he liked it so we thought we'd look into getting a tractor and see how that works out. I've always wanted to get one anyway but never had an excuse that the wife agreed with lol.
Therefore our question, what would be a good tractor that we could do a little pulling with and also but a blade on so we can move some snow/gravel around with in the yard? thanks in advance,

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
here where it gets fun, get 2 tractors! there isnt much out there for antiques that have a 3piont for a blade. so get ya one for chores/work around the yard like a lil ford or massey fergeson then get a row crop tractor for pullin. the lil tractors with the 3pionts dont pull worth a hoot. just for an example we went to a pull on sunday. my son had his farmall H in 3500lb class there was also a 8-9n ford the H ended up 130 feet further down the track then the ford. so like around here i use a late 60's tractor for yard work and all the pullin classes are 57 and older so we've got a few that are just for pullin.plus that way if we break one we can jump on the other and still do yard work

·
Super Moderator
8,031 Posts
Unless you specifically want an older tractor, for a chore tractor, I'd suggest a 3 cyl diesel, 35 to 45 hp, with power steering. It will have a 3 point hitch, live lift, and live pto. MFs 135, 235, 245 and Ford 3000 and 4000 are good choices. There are plenty of parts availale for them, and they are good on fuel. Other manufacturers have tractors in this size range also, but these are the most common ones in my part of NC.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Antiques are good if you dont want to earn alot of money. If your going to work the tractor an antique is not it. The amount you will pay to get it ready to work you may as well go buy new (10-24 grand depending on extras). If you do get a newer type, definitely get a fuel sipping diesel! That being said, there was a young man that rode on one of our people movers last summer that was also a special needs (the one in front looking to camera). He had a model B that he loved to tinker on. Antiques will sometimes have 3 point hitch, but not always. A good tractor supply will have quite a few used tractors on their lot that you can look at that should be able to fulfill your needs. Most of the time you can get a used tractor for around the same price of a good antique (4-5 grand).

Here is a tractor dealer in Union Maine that has a fair amount of used stuff to look at. I would be leery of you getting a 8n Ford. If you do, make sure you get a over run clutch ($10) for the pto. 8n's had this nasty habit (with out the over run clutch) of driving an operator through a wall even though they had declutched.
http://www.unionfarmequipment.com/pages/myinventory#Condition=2&PageIndex=4

IMG_20130803_174813.jpg

·
Registered
320 Posts
Look for something made in the 1960's. You will get live power, power steering, and a 3 pt hitch. Take the hitch off for pulling. If you need something more specific, let us know your brand preference. I don't think you will want a JD though.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I suggest a WD45 , they do well at the pulls and you can get Quick attach equipment for them. The blades have several adjustments and do a good job but good ones can be 3x the price of a straight blade. Lots of good advice on live power with newer tractors and diesel is the way to go if you need to run one daily, but cost might be a factor so I would vote for the WD45......................mike1111

·
Registered
459 Posts
mike1111 is right. The WD45's are just what your looking for. They have plenty power. You can find them with factory power steering. You might even be able to track down a diesel. That and you can buy 3pt kits for them. I'm more than happy with our WD. We use it for just about every job i can think of.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
id much rather have a wd then a 8n myself. idk how much a 3piont would be for one but ive seen them in the $600-$700 range for farmall's. a newr 45hp tractor for yard work would be best and then find an old one to play with

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I agree with the two tractor system, if you want a john deere, which I'm guessing you are since you posted to the jd page. A late styled A makes a decent puller, if you don't mind getting beaten by Farmall M's and built AC's. The late 50's and newer Fords make dandy chore tractors.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The M's are monsters when it comes to pulling. I've watched guys at are local tractor pulls put 7-8 wheel weights on each side and pull the sled to the end of the track in 3rd gear, and they don't stop until the motor finally bogs down and dies.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, lots of good info, thank you very much. we'll probably stick to stock class stuff in the pulling aspect. I have a snowblower so the yard tractor will wait. the search for the tractor/vintage sled/etc. is always the fun part for me and you all have given me the leads we need. now the search begins......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since we are on the John Deere forum i will throw the 420-430 in the ring...3 pt hitch...good power for the size...520-530 not to bad either

·
Registered
224 Posts
GMan,

It has been several months now since your last post.

What is your decision? What are you leaning to?

·
Banned
10 Posts
Hi, This is Mark J. Lemmon.. I'm Experts to help you in the choice of your tractor Brands and all Things About tractor.

Ford 8N is an awesome little tractor and way cheap. Turn on a dime. And easy to repair. The down is the single-stage clutch. Any snowblower, mower, and constantly running equipment. Is hard to use due to that clutch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts