Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a deutz 6240 and i cant get it into high gear and when i put it in reverse and try to go it stalls out and when it feels like its in neutral its actually still in low gear. my best guess is its stuck in low gear. anybody got any suggestions to fix this or maybe think it could be something else? thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'd pull the stick and check the shift forks, sounds like one is bent/broke. Something to check that doesn't cost much to check.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I've already pulled the shift cover off nothing seems to be wrong there and I can put it into reverse without the shifter but when it comes to the high and low I can't hardly budge it it's in a bind stuck in low I just am trying to figure out how to get it out without splitting it bc it's going to be a pain to get in there much more to it than my old trusty Farmalls

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i got it to where it will shift into all three gears and move in all three it is still pretty stiff going into high and low but it goes into reverse like new dont know how long it will last hopefully long enough to get my garden finish plowing and body got any idea why its still hard to shift into high and low i didnt do much to fix it really just wiggled some stuff around so maybe it will loosen up and last

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'll guess that a shaft is getting slightly out of line due to bearing failure (just guessing since the shifter was ok, and wiggling stuff freed it up) The other thought I have is too much gear lash, and something is almost in line enough to be right.

·
Registered
98 Posts
may not be the correct term, the amount of engagement of the teeth on the gear set (perhaps gear mesh is a better term) takes a lot of wear to cause this, or one gear being too soft. I am not familiar with deutz tractors, but I have seen this wear on the gears of old lathe's. If your Deutz uses a sliding gear arrangement this is possible, on the intermediate gear sets (the gears that transfer the power from the input shaft to the drive gear that then (indirectly) applies power to the bull gear or output shaft.

confused yet?? I can't seem to find the right way to describe what I envision to be a possibility (remote, but after checking the easy stuff...)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i cant envision that completely haha but it is a sliding gear set up idk maybe it will just loosen up and stay fixed i mean it cant be nothing to awful bad if a little bit off wiggling will fix it but thanks for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts