Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok This is the way I do stuff. I just finished trimming the apple trees and then I ask questions about it. That's just the way I do things. But I may learn some things for next year.
So we have two red delicious one yellow delicious and two Macintosh. these are about 25 years old and are smaller trees, that you can reach the top with a 8 foot step ladder. They had not been trimmed back in at least two years and really needed a hair cut bad. Besides that I figure to have a bumper crop due to all the extra warm weather we are going to have this spring.:) Note: The apple blossoms get frosted almost every year. In 25 years we may have gotten a bushel total.:( Its either the frost or the bugs.
So I took the loppers and ladder and finished up the trimming today. (Sorry no pictures, but I could walk down and get some shots). Sure I could have read a book or found info on line. No No not me! My plan was to trim off all the vertical suckers, trim back and branches crossing over into the center, and any big vertical branches.
I am sure they are some details that would help me like where is the best place to cut relative to a emerging branch bud and technical stuff like that.
Anyway I figured there might be some interest i n this. Or if there is some inf already on here please point me to it.
As for the bugs, I just need to get the right stuff and get it applied at the right time. I have sprayed the trees prior years but then we get a let frost and then neither I or the worms get any apples. I do have to be careful not to kill the bees near by with any type of spray.
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
My knowledge about pruing fruit trees is very limited Chris. I do know that the vertical sprouts, I think they are called watersprouts, need to be removed. The canopy should be thinned as to not have branches crossing each other. I'll see if I can find anything from our extension service. One of the most important things to remember, don't fall offn the ladder :!: :eek: :eek: :eek: :idea: ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim,
Thanks, I am sure this will help.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
438 Posts
Chris , Thanks for the question and Jim thanks for the answer. I have never been very good at trimming fruit trees. I usually wait till they are really in need of a trim before doing it. I never felt like I did it correctly. Now I got no excuse. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Rule of thumb for pruning fruit/citrus trees is to have the middle open ( shaped like a vase) so that a bird could fly through, that way the light can get in & the tree is less prone to bugs & disease.

·
Super Moderator
8,443 Posts
Red Kiwi said:
Rule of thumb for pruning fruit/citrus trees is to have the middle open ( shaped like a vase) so that a bird could fly through, that way the light can get in & the tree is less prone to bugs & disease.

Exactly right especially for peaches. The more open the center, the better for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts