Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Turkey season came in for us over the weekend. I love getting out in the woods and chasing those little feathery creatures. This year they have posed a problem for me. They constantly come up into my yard from the back 40. Normally they stay for 30 minutes then they are off again, but not this year. They stay around the house all day long. My wife calls the viewing area from the house a no kill zone. So, I am now stuck watching the nice birds mock me and get within 20 yards of the house. I can't go hunting in the back 40, because all the birds are around the house. Guess I will have to go to our farm 30 minutes away just to get one.

This pic was taken Saturday while I was waiting for them to leave so I could go hunt them. So sad to have them within shooting distance and having to settle with just watching. UGH!!!! But, whatever keeps momma happy :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Dick said:
Maybe you can just pick off a couple and claim "the dog did it!"
I'd have to get creative too. Way too much temptation :) :twisted:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying to get her to go shopping so she would leave and I could pluck one. She isn't stupid and knows what my intentions are.

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Season is in here too, and any hunting season tends to bring out folks who want to hunt on farm property. Most of the time I say "no" cuz too often one hunter brings a truckload sooner or later. If I have chores that need to be done, I do them at my convenience, not to fit the schedule of hunters. I know there are good respectible hunters> They must be in other places though. :roll:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Jim in NC said:
Season is in here too, and any hunting season tends to bring out folks who want to hunt on farm property. Most of the time I say "no" cuz too often one hunter brings a truckload sooner or later. If I have chores that need to be done, I do them at my convenience, not to fit the schedule of hunters. I know there are good respectible hunters> They must be in other places though. :roll:
Jim,
I know exactly the type of person you are talking about. They give all hunters a bad name. I do my hunting permission asking during the summer months, not opening day. Real hunters know hunting is a privelege and not a right. I never bring anyone along on someone else's property unless I have discussed it with the property owner. I hunt a farm about 2 mies from my house. I asked permission a few years back. I would always find the owner any time I was on the place and let him know I was there. He finally told me I was welcome any time and not to worry about finding him. He and I are great friends now. My wife bakes him and his wife a pie from time to time and I give his wife a mess of beans when I can. He let me have some rock that was part of slave walls on his farm that I built a pond with in my backyard. When I had surgery this fall and wasn't able to hunt or drive, he came looking for me because he was worried something had happened to me. To top it off he's got 8 John Deere tractors and one Case.

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Tim, I have the same problem. :cry: Momma likes watching the turkey, and deer eat through my hay fields,
and they don't come to the back woods where I can hunt without worrying about houses being around.

Dick I could probably get away with that. I'll tell you this story.
Oh, a couple of years back or so, I was just comin' from the tractor sheds, 'bout this time of year.
When I spotted my bride's Jeep comin' up the lane, home from work. I met her just as she got out of the car in the garage.
She asked "What's Bo got in the back yard ?" I answered "I don't know Dear. I can't see the back yard from the tractor sheds, where I was comin' from."
As we walked around to the back yard, I remembered what I saw bringin' the tractor back from the fields. As we rounded the corner,....... Sure enough,
a grown hen turkey. She was standin' right close to the gate to the driveway when I came out of the fields, and didn't pay me much mind as I went by
about half an hour, or so, ago. She musta wandered into the yard, and ran the wrong way when Bo saw her. 'Cause he had her pinned in the back corner,
and wasn't lettin' her get more than twenty feet either way. He was bouncin' to the left.... and bouncin' to the right...... and Bo loves to bounce.
The turkey couldn't get enough runnin' room to get airborne, so he had her pretty much trapped. He wasn't trying to kill it. Just havin' a blast keeping it from
going anywhere. He may have killed it, if it wore out before he did, just tryin' to get it to run back and forth again. He seemed real happy, just playin' with it.
So, I said "Well, Dear, it looks like he's got a turkey."

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Peacher79 said:
Jim in NC said:
Jim,
I know exactly the type of person you are talking about. They give all hunters a bad name. I do my hunting permission asking during the summer months, not opening day. Real hunters know hunting is a privelege and not a right. I never bring anyone along on someone else's property unless I have discussed it with the property owner. I hunt a farm about 2 mies from my house. I asked permission a few years back. I would always find the owner any time I was on the place and let him know I was there. He finally told me I was welcome any time and not to worry about finding him. He and I are great friends now. My wife bakes him and his wife a pie from time to time and I give his wife a mess of beans when I can. He let me have some rock that was part of slave walls on his farm that I built a pond with in my backyard. When I had surgery this fall and wasn't able to hunt or drive, he came looking for me because he was worried something had happened to me. To top it off he's got 8 John Deere tractors and one Case.

Your situation is a good one in which to be. Neighbors helping and respecting each other and their property. :!:

·
Registered
103 Posts
just a little ways across the state the birds in hart county are out in great numbers also,

this is a shot of a group of mature toms taken about three weeks back before they broke up to go courting

there are three 25lb+ birds less in lonsome hollow after the weekendopener,
and i had a nephew who took a 27 lb bird a week earlier during the youth hunt

·
Registered
449 Posts
Turkeys are terrible here in town. I have gotten 8 permits to thin out the large groups. 3 big groups, 28, 34 and 23. Last week there were 135 in town. They are mean, take after kids, dogs, even adults are afraid of them. They get right up on the porches and make a mess. Won't get off the streets when cars come along.They keep breaking branches out of trees onto cars, there are so many of them roosting in large groups....James

·
Registered
103 Posts
sounds like a lot of city dwellers i have seen, in the wild they have excellant eyesight and will scoot for cover when something moves that is not right

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jwal10 said:
Turkeys are terrible here in town. I have gotten 8 permits to thin out the large groups. 3 big groups, 28, 34 and 23. Last week there were 135 in town. They are mean, take after kids, dogs, even adults are afraid of them. They get right up on the porches and make a mess. Won't get off the streets when cars come along.They keep breaking branches out of trees onto cars, there are so many of them roosting in large groups....James
Sounds like they need my services :D :D

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
jwal10 said:
Sounds like the turkeys have formed gangs in your comminuty. :roll:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts