Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for help from anyone who is familiar with the oiling system on a 1947 John Deere Model M.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm looking for help from anyone who is familiar with the oiling system on a 1947 John Deere Model M.
Ok, I guess that was too vague to draw any responders.

The issue is that my John Deere Model M engine (I've tried 2 different pumps) won't prime and build oil pressure. Has anyone seen this as an issue with their antique two cylinder JD engine ? I've inspected both pumps and neither shows any extensive wear to the gears, shaft nor body.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
BTW, the engine is freshly rebuilt. The bearings are properly indexed to allow the oil to pass through the bearings and crank internal passages. I blew air through all of those. It just seems the pumps won't prime. Is there a trick I have overlooked to prime the system.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have you tried different oil pressure gauge to rule out a faulty gauge?
May not be the problem, but it does happen.

·
Registered
459 Posts
One thing I've done is take a hand pump spot sprayer (you can get them at any farm or garden store) and adapt the hose to a pipe fitting that will thread into the oil gauge hole. Unscrew your oil pressure gauge and thread in the hose to the sprayer. Fill the sprayer with a couple quart of motor oil. Pump the tank up with the plunger to pressurize it. It will push oil through all the oil passages. I know my MT does't build much for oil pressure until its warmed up. I know on our Allis WD we have to run a fram filter. We ran a napa filter on it once and it wouldn't register any oil pressure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts