Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We haven't rendered lard since the the mid-90's when our Dad became debilitated with a severe stroke. He cooked everything under the sun with lard but us guys, not so much except in the pop-corn pot. Soooooo this year to rekindle the memories and to provide a little input to the youngsters coming up that have never been around it, the much older brother and I decided to pull out the old rendering tools and have a go at it once again.

This tub contains about a hundred pounds (maybe less) of the normal fat under the hide. This year the hogs were skinned so a lot of the normal fat went with the skin.

This container holds aboout 30 pounds of 'leaf-lard'....the softer and less dense fat lining the insides of the body cavity attached lengthwise from shoulder to ham. It cooks up a lot quicker than the regular fat, so should be added to the kettle only once the regular fat is 60 to 70% cooked. If added at the same time or added too soon, the leaf lard will become scorched and give the lard a bit of a tainted or burnt flavor.

The leaf lard is usually just pulled from the inner cavity once the halves are hung, knifing is not normally required.

Just a hand full of fat is dumped in while the kettle is starting to warm so you can coat the inner surface before dumping 40 or 50 pounds of fat in. You don't want any sticking inside the kettle so once we start, the paddle won't stop until the batch is ready.

This old 36" kettle was my maternal grandmothers kettle salvaged from her belongings many, many decades ago and used every year since for rendering up until we quit. We still have our paternal grandfathers 30" kettle that the head meat was cooked in for years until it was replaced by a monstrous 60" kettle with a folding wooden top. Of course the five footer still resides with the much older brother and will remain there until called to duty again....

Under the kettle is a 500,000 btu home made burner supplying the heat instead of wood. The absence of wood smoke blinding and watering a fellows eyes is a God-send !!! A sheet of light gage metal is wrapped around the kettle as a shroud to ensure even flow of heat up and around the sides.

Probably 45 to 50 pounds of fat in the first batch....There's other prep work for the other to do as one continues the stirring. The old paddle was made of a piece of sawmill oak by the much older brother back in his high school days and shows the use well too.

The end is rounded to match the round shape of the kettle bottom and the handle scorched and partially burnt at the edge of the kettle from flames licking up the kettle sides in the old days when cooking with wood.

One of the things to be set up is a cooling vat filled with water for the lard containers to set in while straining the pieces of fat and the subsequent squeezing of the fat by the sausage press.

Monitoring the temperature with an infra-red thermometer, right here is is cooking at 217 degrees F. To keep it from scorching, the temperature should not exceed 275 degrees while cooking. That was always hard to do with wood and I remember having to continually stoke the fire with cook-stove sized pieces continually OR quickly kick out a portion of the flaming fire from under the kettle to allow its temperature to lower....responding to a loud bark of a swift kick in the pants from the old man....

With the propane burner, a slight twist of the valve adjusts the flame easily to modulate temps in the 250 degree range.

Hard to believe so much cooks down to so little....but here its been held steady at 250 -260 degrees for an hour or so and very near completion.

...of course the cracklin' pans and the requisite salt shaker has to be set in place....I remember rendering lard back at the home place in years long past some of the guys would sneak a quick snort from some home made wine kept in a sack in the woodshed...maybe even something a little stronger on occasion...but we won't go there today.

Close, but not quite ready....just a little too much white showing yet. There's still some lard to cook out. On a side note, the big dipper is a WW 2 mess hall dipper our grandfather bought in St Louis sometime after the war. A number of similar items still bless our presence.

When done cooking, this dipper is used to transfer the cooked fat/liquid lard to an old grain sack doing double duty as a strainer. Once the pure lard is strained, the fat is then transferred into the sausage press.

Preparing the grain sack, one corner is pinned up to the opposite side to create a point at the bottom. The point is then dropped into the first container and the liquid strains right out the point or oozes out the sides and runs down the outside to the point and directly into the large can.

Several sets of pliers and/or channel locks must be used to hold the sack as the dippers of 260 degree lard and fat is dumped in. A fellow still sustains an occasional burn or splatter to exposed skin.

This has to be split into two posts because there is a limit on text....hopefully Part 2 can continue without too much trouble.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Here is PART 2: I apologize about having to clidk on the links, but I had to copy and paste the whole thing when ATF wouldn't let me post it because it was too big. In doing so, just the image codes show up in the second half instead of the pictures.... Sorry about that. Too much text it said. Never saw that before...

[/URL]

Here goes the first batch...A grand-nephew, Kyle is on my right, a cousin Lumberlady is straight across and wielding the dipper is the much older brother and I am....well.....I am doing my typical goofing off. Camera in one hand, paddle in the other...remember we don't want to scorch it at this stage of the game.

[/URL]

Once enough fat is in the strainer sack to fill the sausage press, another few minutes are required to let the residual lard drain on through and into the virgin container. This will be the best lard free from tiny cracklin' particulate because it has not been 'squeezed' though the press.

[/URL]

The point of the strainer sack has another function....when dumping the cooked fat into the press, grab the tip of the point with another pair of pliers to control the dumping process. Its tricky to get that done without dropping pieces out the top or over the edge of the press.

[/URL]

Once in the press, a lot more lard just runs out the spout. Then a slooooooow cranking of the handle gently squeezes the residual lard and leaves behind nothing but good ol' steaming hot cracklins' !!! Guaranteed to block arteries with every succulant bite !!! Colestoral level was elevated by 50 points that morning for sure.

If you crank too fast, lard will squish out over the top of the press-plate and make a mess of the whole operation.

[/URL]

It takes two fillups of the rendered fat to a batch of cracklins. You can do more, but you force more of the tiny pieces of fat out of the press and into the lard if you do. It doesn't really contaminate the lard so to speak, but it will go rancid quicker than purely virgin lard.

What you're seeing here is the bottom plate of the sausage press. This plate is placed in the bottom of the press-basket when used for lard, not for pressing sausage into casing.

[/URL]

This is the basket that drops into the press for squeezing lard. The holes are for the lard to escape out the sides and down to the spout. The bottom in inserted inside this basket and the top plate of the sausage press is replaced with a smaller one that fits inside the basket.

The top plate for pressing sausage is a bit larger because the lard basket is removed for sausage. One cannot be used for the others operation.

[/URL]

Here's an appropriate picture...a couple 'ham bones' dumping the last of the pig fat into the last batch. I'm the handsome one, the much older brother is the old guy...

[/URL]

If you really wanna know what was going on, a picture is worth a thousand words..... The much younger cousin, Lumberlady, stopped by to deliver her normal devilment so we promptly placed the paddle in her hand, the much older brother took up residence on the stool warming his hands over the kettle and me...well, I continued to goof off because now I can see we got someone else to do all the hard work.... and as the saying goes...'and a good time was had by all'.

[/URL]

So we ended up with two batches of cracklins' and approximately 10 gallons of lard. The majority of the lard is pure virgin and a couple gallons came out of the press. The press-lard will be used in the shops for lubricant on the milling machines and metal lathes and the virgin lard will be used for the occasional pie crust and some good old grandmas lye soap...but that's another story.

[/URL]

Here's the two stainless steel containers for catching the lard out of the press and the grain sack sitting the the ice filled chilling vats of water. Its got to chill a little bit before transferring to the final containers if they are plastic, but the metal cans can receive it hot as can be. We sat them in the snow and packed it around the edges to quicken the pace.

[/URL]

A 2 1/2 gallon container starting to chill down. I had to keep packing snow around it for a pretty good while as it started out over 250 degrees.

[/URL]

Even the brown looking one will turn white as it cools....at least thats the way the rest started out and they are all white and solid now. We kept the pressed lard separate for use in the shops as stated before and this is the good stuff... Well, the three peanut containers on top are all for the shop.

[/URL]

All morning long we picked select meaty pieces of fat out of the kettle to salt and munch on...and may I say they were all quite tasty. Even though I shortened my life by at least a year by doing so, it was still an enjoyable endeavor. Ahhhhh...salt and pig fat, just what the doctor ordered !!

So it was a perfect lunch with a big pot of chile laced with fresh cracklins' instead of plain old crackers. I feel my carotid artery constricting just by looking at the picture.

Oh well, my best friend owns the local funeral home and he's promised my wife a good deal !!

...I just hope she doesn't have to take advantage of the offer anytime soon...

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Wendell, it's always interesting to see the variations of doing the same job by different people. We do ours a little different then you do, but the results are still the same.
Glad to see that you now have the good lard in your life.:lol:
When Mom made lie soap, she always made 2 batches. One was for company, made with good lard only and a small bottle of toilet water ( perfume ) and the other was for every day use, which consisted of good and used lard and rinds. Glad you were able to educate the younguns on the finer art of getting the good lard in their life. Maybe the next time you do it, I can come and help keep things stirred up.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
that was realy cool of you to take the time to post up the pics and explain how that's done. I remember help'in my grandma with that when I was a kid. now days we'll just run over to our amish neighbors and get some when needed. nothing beets the home made lard in the baked goods, I like the donuts the best done with it

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Wendell,
Great shots and description of rendering Lard. I have never seen that done. And I have never had cracklins. Although we always had lard on the back of the stove and Grandma used it about everything.
Grandpa Casbohm did not eat maple syrup on his pancakes, he had to have bacon grease so we had that available also. Yea it probably wasn't good for him but sure tasted good he said.
Thanks for posting. All the links worked well.

I have a sausage press like that only next size smaller. I had never seen the basket. The liquid lard looks good. Nice job you guys did, and a lot of work too.
Why is my mouth watering?:)
Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Wendell, I remember my grandparents and other farm families of their era making lard, and especially the smell of it cooking. They used all of the hog in those days. Thanks for posting this and bringing us back a bit to our roots.:good:

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve, you are welcome to stop by and stir things up anytime you so desire. About time for me, you and dirt brown cowboy to get together anyway.....

Bert, almost all our cooking used to be with lard...then we all got married and moved away. Then Dad was the sole hold-out so we rendered each year for him mostly.

Chris, I still keep bacon grease on the stove in a quart flour container for my almost daily eggs. Nothing flavors like pieces of bacon stuck in the cooked eggs. Then flop some buttered bread in the skillit with a smattering of bacon grease and man, you got something there !!!! Fry 'em until they're soft and warm or crispy and hot...don't matter to me. Then dive into the eggs and don't look back till dinner time.

Jim, its actually quite fun and not a chore at all slipping in these little stories along with the pictures talking and showing things about 'back in the day'.

Thanks for the comments guys and don't worry.... I got plenty more stories where this came from.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
Wendell, my brother gets piggies from a local grower. As you know, they are grown leaner these days. I know you know this but by the time one is butchered and and the sausage is made there would not be enuff fat to make a cup of lard off most piggies grown today.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Thanks for posting the story, it's always good to see people keeping the old ways alive.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wendell, thanks for posting all the pics. Viewing them was just as I remember when it was done when we were all at home. One thing different was the larger number of people that would stand around the kettle trying to keep warm. Truth be known, I never really liked the cracklings very much. Now, having the lard to cook and bake with, well that is another story! Thanks again for posting.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
I hate it when I get strange thoughts, last time I did anything like that. it involved some corn,sugar and yest, seems as tho it took about a week from start to finish! I have no idea why I just thought about that

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I hate it when I get strange thoughts, last time I did anything like that. it involved some corn,sugar and yest, seems as tho it took about a week from start to finish! I have no idea why I just thought about that
:drinks::lol:

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wendell, thanks for posting all the pics. Viewing them was just as I remember when it was done when we were all at home. One thing different was the larger number of people that would stand around the kettle trying to keep warm. Truth be known, I never really liked the cracklings very much. Now, having the lard to cook and bake with, well that is another story! Thanks again for posting.

Yeah, no problem at all, its kinda fun. I bet you remember scraping guts with Aunt Pauline, Grannie and Aunt Lucille too.

Cassie and myself made a batch of really mild and unscented lye soap the other day...while the missus and the SIL kept watch on the toddlers. Our trial batch was a two pounder just to make sure it worked as planned. After 24 hours we've cut it into bars and now its curing. She's gotten some lavender scent and some citronella scent for a few more batches to see if it will help keep the chiggers and ticks off us out here in the woods this year.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Yeah, no problem at all, its kinda fun. I bet you remember scraping guts with Aunt Pauline, Grannie and Aunt Lucille too.

Cassie and myself made a batch of really mild and unscented lye soap the other day...while the missus and the SIL kept watch on the toddlers. Our trial batch was a two pounder just to make sure it worked as planned. After 24 hours we've cut it into bars and now its curing. She's gotten some lavender scent and some citronella scent for a few more batches to see if it will help keep the chiggers and ticks off us out here in the woods this year.
Wendell Glad to see that you got soap for your Saturday night bath. Now all you need is a #3 Galvanized tub.:truce::lol:

30 Posts
Very cool post indeed. I have 3 hogs that will be slaughtered this coming Friday. I'll try to take some pictures of them with my camera and post them before they go to hog heaven. I plan on rendering the lard. My mom used to do this when I was a kid, but at the time I was too young to get involved. The last time I had hogs butchered the lard amounted to 22 lbs per animal. One of my hogs is much rounder than the other two and I think will produce a lot of fat. The others are much longer and leaner. They would rather eat garden weeds and apples while the fat guy like the grain feeder.

Looking forward to getting some fresh pork liver, it's my favorite fried with onions. This year I plan on making head cheese for the first time. If I don't like it I just won't make it again.

Take care and thanks for the story.

·
Registered
57 Posts
"Head Cheese" Been a long time since I heard that. We butchered 3 hogs in the fall with my dad's brother help. I remember the process and going to smoke house to get some of the pork rinds for a snack. Parts LLC, if you were close I would volunteer to come help just to refresh some memories.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts