Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a working MT with a sediment bowl that is a little under 2". So 1 7/8" and 1 15/16" gaskets will work.... It's really difficult to get a good answer from most retailers that have this item.. Usual response: Yes it will fit your tractor. That's just great if you need to start a collection of oversize gaskets or can tolerate a leaky sediment bowl... Does anyone else have this problem??? Is there a source or solution I've missed???

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would probably measure the old gasket, or if its unavailable, measure the inner diameter
of where the new gasket will seat, then go from there, as to whether to order the 1&7/8 or 1&15/16.
You definitely want a good seal. I also usually go with the rubber ones. I try a gasket first, and If I cant get the old bowl assembly to stop leaking, I will usually just order a whole new one and install it.
I rather spend the 30 or so bucks on a new bowl assembly than take a chance on ruining
my paint from the leaks or taking the chance of catching my tractor on fire while running
it with a leaky fuel bowl.

·
Administrator
4,123 Posts
I generally have some cork gasket material hanging around, so I mark and cut one out with a pair of scissors.

·
Super Moderator
8,129 Posts
Same as Dave. Gasket paper has worked for me too. Either is good to have on hand if you need something right away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the quick responses... It would appear that it's like I suspected... If your run an old Johnny Popper, then make it or replace it options are frequent... I also suspect that 5 CM gaskets and sediment bowls are common in China...
klink

·
Registered
84 Posts
For what it's worth, here's my experience. My MH33 had a leaky sediment bowl. Which was not obvious. Coming in the morning and smelling the gas everywhere was an eye opener. Got a new gasket, but it still leaked. It was a bit of a pain to source a new sediment assembly, but so worth it. Your gasket isn't the only place where it can leak. A 40-70 year old assembly is old. I feel much better now knowing that when I turn off the gas it really is off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anybody know where I can down load a manual for a 1959 JD 430? I can find stuff for my MF 1560 but it’s much new Rt. Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
381 Posts
As far as the parts manual for it, you will find it here:

You'll probably have to buy The service and operators off ebay, or download it on some site for a fee.
As far as old tractor service manuals go, especially old 2 cylinder John Deere ones, for some strange reason, they are some big secret, that nobody wants to share, and let folks download them freely.
I can find and download everything I need to fix or rebuild a 78 Ford Bronco online for free, but let me buy an old tractor and I have to pay for those manuals, unless someone just posts a page from theirs out of
them being nice enough to help me out. I will get off of my soap box now. It just erks me to no end that
in this day and time, those manuals aren't out there somewhere as a free information download for those that are needing them to fix stuff that they own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts