Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday am when feeding the horses I notices one of hte stall walls looked bowed.. I immediatly thought I had lost a support.. then come to look at it.. it was the wall boards sagging.. after inspection i came to the conclusion that scotch yellow pine, untreated, dimensional cut lumber just ain't a good choice for florida.

Back when we had the horse barn built 13 ys ago.. the builder convinced us to use the scotch yellow pin vs pressure treat.. said it would look nicer.. etc. I later found out he had a realative with a sawmill and was cuttinghis own dimensional lumber. they were 7" boards. not the normal 6 or 8 :) width. found that out eary on when I wanted to repalce a board a horse kicked.. but that's a non issue now.. etc.

anyway. about 5ys ago I got a lil termite activity ( very litte, caught it fast ).. and i treated it and they are gone in the area of the building pad now.. anyway. :)

fast forward.. and the florida hot/cold/wet alternating weather has finally taken it's toll.

took some measurement snad did some quick calcs and decided to go back in with 6" finish cut lumber

.. and by adding a couple boards I could make it come out to 'bang on' measurements to match the old lumber. Inspection of all the load bearing and supports turned out great. they were PT 8x8 and 6x6 and 4x4.. and no insect activity or rot.

I hit the lumber yard at lunch and got a trailer full and 10# of nails. drug the wrecking pry bars and frame hammer and sledge out. then had to get back to work.

after work, got home and tore the wall down on the horse stall and the back area where a couple tractors are parked. cleaned up the base to work on.. pretreated with concentrated termite and wood ant mix, leveled and squared my first 2 base boards, then the wife caleld me in for dinner. after dinner, I focused on getting the horse stall wall back up .. so i could put the horses back in .. :) , and just finished as i completely lost the light. I'll do the 2nd half of the wall on that side, where I park a couple tractors, on wednesday afternoon. there was a tangle of vines growing up the side of the barn.. and the wife liked them and told me to keep as much as possible.. so i used a board to pull them back a bit.. then had to work under them vines.. UGH.. they had ants and some other small biting insect on them. at the end of the day I had to pull 10 of them lil biting buggers offa me. :)

probably friday before work i'll start knocking down the far side wall.

once I get all the rest of the walls down and up, i have a couple boards here and there on the front of the barn that I will swap out with a couple of the salvageable boards I pulled off, that way they will look weathered and match. the far wall of the barn is protected by a pull thru near a garage and doesn't se the rain and weather like the other 3 sides do, so the wood on that side was 90% with just a couple damaged boards from horses cribbing on them once all the boards are on, I'll stick some facing boards up on the corners like the original builder had them, to hid all the side joints, and hopefully she'll be good to go for another decade+

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i had about 2.5 hrs between jobs today.. so came home and put on my farm clothes and finished up that back part of that wall.. and then repalced a top runner board and added a 4x4 support inside to one that looked bowed a lil.. then put the 3 cap plates on that finish the ends.

officially finished that side I sent pics of... had 30m left till i needed to come in and shower, so took the pry bars and sledge and knocked 1/2 the wall boards down on the other side.

I figure i got 2 more good afternoons of work and I'll have both sides good.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Chris,
Good progress on your barn restoration project! I keep thinking it would be nice to have a horse again. I think I would still enjoy riding a little.
Thanks for posting your progress. I agree Pressure treated would be the way to go.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hopefully will get another hour today and finish taking down the far wall.

from there it will just be nailing boards.. :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the post is bolted thru with a large lag on each side and I had to cover the dern thing with roofing tin to keep the horses from chewing on it.. they chewed the other one clean thru.. :)

got the rest of the wood up on the far side last night. too dark for pics. will get some this weekend.. now have a pile of wood to go thru and de-nail before i can haul it off.

my blisters gots blisters.. :)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got up dark early this am.. went thru the wood and denailed it and loaded it as I went. by lunch I was haulin it off.

feel good that I can rest a bit now.. :)

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
Always seems to be an unexpected project pop up from time to time. Your repair looks first rate. :cool:
I've had some cribbing horses in the past, that could chew boards better than beavers. ;)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i hear ya. we'd tie them to the pole to do their feet, and look up and they'd be eating the pole fast!

barn turned out good.

level must have worked.. all my boards came out straight :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts