Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm needing fronts for my '49, and am looking at two different tires at Pete's Tire Barns. I'm assuming I've got 3 inch rims. This tire says it's for 4 inch rims, and this tire says it's for 3 inch rims. Is there really a difference between two 5x15 tri-rib fronts, or just that there's some latitude between different manufacturers?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Phil The only thing I would suggest you look at is the center rib width. We have bought a couple of sets 15x3 with the narrower center rib and when using heavy they seemed to wear out pretty quick. Bought some Titans and the center rib is close to as wide again and wear way better. If your not going to use them much probably won't matter.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gordon, I hadn't thought about the center rib. I'm not sure I'll be able to tell from stock photos however. My thrifty side wants to go with the cheaper tires, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot either. :)

Thinking about it, I probably would never wear out any front tire on this tractor, so now I have to decide which might look better. :?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would run away from those BKT things. I put a set on one of my VAC's because a vender comes to a local show. I used it part time on the farm for a couple years and wore them down to nothing, whereas I have several with 15-20 year old Firestone's that still have 50% or better left. The Carlisle's are good tires, I have several sets of the 5.00-15 and 6.00-16 and they wear and steer very well. I tend to run Titan's more than others because they are made in Iowa and I have 2 friends who work there.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, I was just about to order the BKT's. Nothing like a first hand account. :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would imagine they are fine for show tractors, but they seem to be a softer rubber than most. Every tractor I have that runs gets used from a 1935 C to my 1968 1030.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered up the Carlisles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts