Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think of the Van Sickle paint? Is it durable? How dose it hold up to chemicals if the hardener is added to it. Is the flambeau red a good match to the original. I am going to be working my tractor so I want something that is going to be tough. The Dupont and PPG paints are down right expensive. I just do not want to use paint that is going to look bad in a few years.

Any comments will be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I think for the money the Case/IH paint is hard to beat.It is power red which is not as red as flambeau red.It's really not that much different shade to me.Here are some pics of my tractors with different paint on them
The tractor on the left was painted with the Case IH paint available at you local dealer,the tractor on the right was painted with ppg.You can tell the ppg has a redder tint ot it.these tractors have been painted for about 8 years.These tractors have been kept inside

This tractor was painted in 1999 with vansickle paint.It has probably had a 1000 hrs put on it since being painted.This tractor has been outside while being used quite a bit.It was used for moving tobacco wagons while harvesting tobacco and once I got it out it would stay out for the day.The sheetmetal has been waxed to keep a shine on it.There is some dulling of the paint where it has not been waxed.I have touched it up with spray cans some over the years.

The Case paint was $61 a gallon last year.I was told that vansickle changed their fomula and it is not as good as it used to be.I would recommend to use at least the Case paint and would use their thinner/hardner/primer ect....
If you are going to do a lot of prep work and take it to bare metal I would consider dupont or ppg.If the tractor has to sit out all of the time I would also use dupont or ppg.
Nick

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick,

Thanks for the pictures of your tractors with the different paints on them. You have some good looking equipment.

Right now I have my engine block and head completely stripped. So now would be the time to use a good self etching primer good paint. Do you by any chance remember or can track down the PPG paint code? Was it an industrial or automotive coating? Do you work your tractor with the PPG paint much and is it durable in your opinion?

I have shot PPG in the past and it does lay down nice. Not sure how much my VAC-14 is going to have to sit outside. I have competing interest for shop space. So maybe the best best option is a PPG type paint.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've used Van Sickle for years, holds up well to farm use in spray can or out of a gun with hardener.

·
Super Moderator
856 Posts
I would spend the extra $$ and get the PPG. The durability is worth it.

·
Machines Lover from Finla
172 Posts
I think for the money the Case/IH paint is hard to beat.It is power red which is not as red as flambeau red.It's really not that much different shade to me.Here are some pics of my tractors with different paint on them
The tractor on the left was painted with the Case IH paint available at you local dealer,the tractor on the right was painted with ppg.You can tell the ppg has a redder tint ot it.these tractors have been painted for about 8 years.These tractors have been kept inside

This tractor was painted in 1999 with vansickle paint.It has probably had a 1000 hrs put on it since being painted.This tractor has been outside while being used quite a bit.It was used for moving tobacco wagons while harvesting tobacco and once I got it out it would stay out for the day.The sheetmetal has been waxed to keep a shine on it.There is some dulling of the paint where it has not been waxed.I have touched it up with spray cans some over the years.

The Case paint was $61 a gallon last year.I was told that vansickle changed their fomula and it is not as good as it used to be.I would recommend to use at least the Case paint and would use their thinner/hardner/primer ect....
If you are going to do a lot of prep work and take it to bare metal I would consider dupont or ppg.If the tractor has to sit out all of the time I would also use dupont or ppg.
Nick
Those are absolutely beautifully tractors, love those !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts