Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am ashamed to admit that I know nothing about tractors. But, I bought a 1969 Fiat Someca 450 Series 6 from my elderly neighbour before he went into a nursing home a few years ago. He was a farmer and has had the tractor from new. Unfortunately it has been sitting in my field for the past 3 years without any love, care or attention. This week we tried to move it because of some scheduled tree-work in the area. Fitted a new battery and tried to turn it over but it soon became clear that the vertical exhaust pipe had filled up with 3 years of rainwater. Took the exhaust pipe off and tried to get rid of as much water as possible and left it to 'dry' for a few days. Followed the various instruction to purge the fuel system as it had been standing for so long and after about 10 minutes we finally got her started. Left her running for a while and then eventually moved her to a new parking spot feeling very happy. However, when I lifted the bonnet there was milky fluid (oil/water) leaking from the oil filler cap, so clearly there is water in the system...presumably from where the rainwater had flowed down the exhaust pipe. My question is what do I do now and have I caused a lot of damage by starting her up and moving her? Is it sufficient just to let her cool down and drain the oil (I guess I would expect any water to settle to the bottom of the tank so it would drain off first??). Thanks in advance.

· Administrator
4,844 Posts
AcornKennelsandCattery said:
............. My question is what do I do now and have I caused a lot of damage by starting her up and moving her? Is it sufficient just to let her cool down and drain the oil (I guess I would expect any water to settle to the bottom of the tank so it would drain off first??). Thanks in advance.
Since you got it running after purging the rainwater, it will be sufficient just to change the contaminated oil.
Just remember to keep the exhaust pipe covered with something more than a "flapper" cover. They tend to open when the wind blows and let rain in.
You should check the oil in the transmission and rear end as well. The cab will help keep water out, but it still may seep in when keeping a tractor outdoors. I have seen things get broken from ice formed in the bottom of gear boxes.

· Super Moderator
9,092 Posts
Its sheet metal shows me that much of it is kin to a UTB built Romanian tractor. Many of its cousins were sold worldwide under the names of Allis Chalmers, Long, Oliver, and Hesston. Two Longs live here, a 445 and a 360. Like Dave sez check all reservoirs for any water and get rid of it. Seafoam can help you.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

1 - 4 of 4 Posts