Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where to start? i want to review and research implements for old tractors. most of what i find is for modern tractors. most of that is located according to manufacturer. there are plenty of sites for old tractors but i haven't seen any showcases of old implements.

vocabulary is another problem. i don't know what everything is called. some of the implement sites sell things like this

but most are only selling the bucket on the end of the arms. i don't know what the arms are called.

i might have to go to old tractor places in person.

some old tractors are sold with implements like this

that looks vintage. i doubt i'd have to worry about the 8n capabilities when using a piece that was likely designed for it. are there old brochures where i can at least look at what used to be marketed and go from there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

i found this book. so i can learn about these things from some books like this, but i still am in the dark as to where to find them for sale.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's the link

http://books.google.de/books?id=BZG...en&sa=X&ei=9hXVUPK4Hen44QTFvICYDA&redir_esc=y

it's just a preview and only hard copies are available.

i'm american, stationed in germany.

so i found out i was right in discerning that its called a loader and buckets and forks can be attached to it. still not having any luck finding any for sale for a ford 861. i decided that lacking power steering as an 8n does, it'd be best to use a heavier duty tractor for that. even everything attachments doesn't have a single loader assembly for sale that i can find. i'll get that book to learn what was made back then and by whom.

i did find this.

http://www.paulsonloaders.com/lightwtloader.htm

anyone familiar with this by chance?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is an ad for the golden jubilee. around minute 19 he talks about hydraulics. did these features, such as a hydraulic mounting pad, continue to future tractors? does an 861 require a front mounted hydraulic pump driven by the engine or does it have a similar hydraulic system?

did your tractors come with the loaders? that seems to be the way most people get them.

G

·
Yes, both came with the loaders. We have seen just loaders simular to ours for sale every now and then. I also have an 861 and yes it would need the front pump set up as well. System hydraulics could run it but it would be very slow. The 850 we have for sale just got a new front pump on it. I think we paid around $150'ish. I recently was able to buy an old Dearborn 2 bottom plow for the 3 pt. and will be picking up a Ford 207 - - 11' hyd. lift disc next weekend. Don't really see a whole lot of old Ford implements around here for sale. Just hope I have some extra cash when they do pop up.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Thanks for posting the video. I really enjoed watching it. Like you I really enjoy seeing the old implements and especially being used. Sad to say but a lot of them were cut up and sold for scrap. Before everything went to 3 point it was pretty much brand speccific due to the way they hooked up but I enjoy seeing them all.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
[quote="Okeefenokee"

[/quote]

:oops: :oops: OOPs, when you mentioned the language thing plus seeing you were in Germany, I didn't even think maybe maybe you was one of us stationed over there.

Stick with these Ford guys, they know their stuff and can help you immensly.

Assuming now you are in the military, what branch are you in ?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Okeefenokee said:
here's the link

http://books.google.de/books?id=BZG...en&sa=X&ei=9hXVUPK4Hen44QTFvICYDA&redir_esc=y

it's just a preview and only hard copies are available.

so i found out i was right in discerning that its called a loader and buckets and forks can be attached to it. still not having any luck finding any for sale for a ford 861. i decided that lacking power steering as an 8n does, it'd be best to use a heavier duty tractor for that. even everything attachments doesn't have a single loader assembly for sale that i can find. i'll get that book to learn what was made back then and by whom.

i did find this.

http://www.paulsonloaders.com/lightwtloader.htm

anyone familiar with this by chance?
I'm familiar with the paulson loader. I had one on one of my 4000 (with no power steering). The Co. is still in business which is a plus should you need some parts. Mine was the double piston with a front pump and downpressure. They are step thru and not the jungle jym style which is good for an old man like me. With the smaller bucket and lighter frame then most of the ford step thru's and the wagners they are a little easier to steering but with a load in the the bucket it's still armstrong steering. Mine had a sepate res hyd tank. Some ran off the test port and were painfully slow. I have several other loaders with PS so I took the paulson off and sold it to a guy with an 841 who is happy with it.

Kirk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, i'm in the army. i've heard from plenty of people that power steering is a must for loaders. i'd already planned on having one or more 8n's with at least one stronger model like an 861. i'm not completely set on fords, but they are what i know the most about right now. i know the 8n's don't have a lot of power, but they seem adequate for most tasks. basically doing tasks that i'd rather not do with elbow grease. for the larger tasks, a bigger tractor with power steering and live pto could be handled by an 861.

i've learned a lot about VW type ones. if you know much about them, the way the company produced them makes things great for people buying them now. with the exception of trim options, there were very few variations over the years. vehicles made in any of a handful of blocks of years are interchangeable parts-wise.

i wish more manufacturers used this model. some 801s have power steering and some don't. that isn't a problem one would have when checking out a type one from '58-'67. the 8n has the production numbers to mimic another advantage the type one has, cheap parts. the old age also translates into simple design. the only downside is the lack of live pto and limited power, but the type one had limited power and lacked modern features as well. 25 million of them sold nevertheless.

i am having troubling deciding on diesel or gas. i burn ethanol and have been tinkering with stills for about a year now. i would use bio diesel if i got a diesel tractor, but ethanol is so much easier to make. there is the usual analysis between gas and diesel to consider and diesel comes out on top, but throw in the consideration that i will have to provide my own fuel and the choice gets hard.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
A very informative video on the deluxe Jubilee. However, did you notice the super shiny paint job done on the tractors and equipment used in the demonstrations? A notch above what hit the showroom floors, I believe.... After watching the video, I can't imagine buying ANY other tractor in 1953 !!!! Of course that was marketing at its best, and I bet it really worked back in the day. It makes me look differently at my 800 now !!! Thank you, sir.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Okeefenokee,
Thanks for your commitment to protecting us and serving in the Army! Happy New Year!
I just watched the video on the 53 Jubilee. Very nice, thanks for posting. I will watch it again on my other computer with sound:) Yea that looks like the tractor to buy :D I did learn some things. Like my brake latches need to be removed and loosened so that they swing free.
I do think you want a tractor with power steering for the front end loader. What are you going to be moving with the loader? Also the step thru type seem to be a more operator friendly unit.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That paulson loader website doesn't exist anymore. I have found a little more in the past few days. Google hasn't been as productive for these searches. Most of what I find comes from sites listed on the "links" page from the different sites. I know I've forgotten about it, but most of what I was able to find online about twelve years ago was like this before google got popular.

SSB Tractor has some offerings that don't look bad.

Steve's 8N fever page and Just 8Ns have information and links to other pages.

Searching for "tractor loader" has gotten some decent results. So most of my problem with not being able to find what I'm looking for because I don't know what to look for is over. Now I'm working my way around the issue of reality.

I don't want show tractors. I need work tractors. Most of what I've learned is that these old tractors aren't tough enough to handle the heavy work I have in mind. I've read that the backhoes made for these '50s and '60s model tractors nearly destroyed the tractors over time and as a result aren't seen much anymore. I've read that they also can't use their front loaders for any kind of real digging because of power shortfalls. I have several reasons for preferring these older models over their successors and refocusing on newer, stronger models takes me away from the points I prefer the older models for.

I had an idea to circumvent a few of these obstacles. Let me know if the plan is sound.

With 8Ns being so popular, their price tags are generally around 1250 to 2500. They have less power and a non live PTO. Would I run into problems if I went for a V8 conversion with one of the currently marketed kits like this,

http://www.awesomehenry.com

With nearly fives times the horsepower, the ability of the tractor should show a measurable increase. If I combined that extra power with an elenco FWD conversion to make steering with a load easier and installed a rebuilt sherman combination transmission to add more functionality, would I get a great deal more ability?

The alternative is to drop at least ten grand on a modern tractor that I won't be able to work on.

p.s. yesterday's tractors won't let me register. do i need a referral or something?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wouldn't call a loader an implement since it stays fixed on the tractor all the time. The long parts are called the arms which make up most of the visible moving part of the loader. I suppose the non moving part would be the frame and the front could have a bucket, forks or some other job specific piece instead. The long cylinders on the side are lift cylinders which can be lift only gravity return or double acting to give down pressure. The bucket can be trip or power or hydraulic tilt. Still lots of old stuff around here but with scrap prices high we are loosing it in droves instead of the usual dribbles. Just bought a working shape three bottom three point hitch plough for 50 dollars sight unseen. Hope it is usable or cheaply fixable. There were mostly two bottoms in my area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts