Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chosen to sell a deceased uncles 2N tractor . The tractor was a restoration project of his, and I am not too familiar with these tractors, but do know they were sold with 6 volt systems, but most have been converted to 12 volt. With no battery, what is the easiest way to determine the current system voltage? Not sure what would happen if I tried to start with the wrong battery?
thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
If it is positive ground it is most likely a 6v system. Pull out a light bulb and see if it is a 6 or 12 volt bulb. Finally if it has a generator and voltage regulator and not an alternator it is most likely a 6v system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it is positive ground it is most likely a 6v system. Pull out a light bulb and see if it is a 6 or 12 volt bulb. Finally if it has a generator and voltage regulator and not an alternator it 8s most likely a 6v system.
Thanks for your help - without a battery, not sure if I can determine a positive ground from the exiting cables, and no headlights to check bulbs. Is there a definite visual difference between an alternator and a generator?

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
You know it is a 2N. Search the net for a 2N 6v replacement generator and voltage regulator. I am sure Steiner Tractor will have them. While there look for a.12v conversion kit.for a 2N. They will have a pics of an alternator, generator, and voltage regulator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know it is a 2N. Search the net for a 2N 6v replacement generator and voltage regulator. I am sure Steiner Tractor will have them. While there look for a.12v conversion kit.for a 2N. They will have a pics of an alternator, generator, and voltage regulator.

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I’m basing the 2N on the serial number plate showing 9N123028 … seems odd, but saw it on a Ford serial number chart

·
Super Moderator
8,813 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts