Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ross here, got a question about the regulator on my international 300u. I replaced the old one as it was not working right and the replacement says 6 volt. I have a 12 volt system, does that matter? The guy said it should be fine but the battery isn't charging, the ammeterstays right in the middle. It will run with the battery disconnected so the generator is working.

·
Super Moderator
1,548 Posts
It would be preferable if you had a 12volt regulator instead of a 6. There is a way to excite that regulator (get it going) you momentarily bridge two of the terminals but you've got to choose the right ones or you could blow the whole system. As to which ones they are,? unfortunatley after all these years my memory is letting me down. You may know someone who does.

·
Administrator
4,087 Posts
I agree that a 12 volt regulator should be used.
It should have been changed when the tractor was updated to 12 volt.
Though if one asks for, or orders a regulator for a 300. They will get a six volt since that was factory installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, i have a neighbor who might know how to bridge the terminals, just gotta catch him at an unbusy moment!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does battery to generator bridge sound right? I googled and found that info for an 8N

·
Super Moderator
1,548 Posts
I don't know whether the 8N is negative or positive to earth. It's a tricky operation. I'll contact a mate who will know.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know whether the 8N is negative or positive to earth. All Farmalls/Inters. are negative to earth. It's a tricky operation. I'll contact a mate who will know.
Mine is positive ground or earth. Appreciate the help, another thing I gotta figure out too but that's for another day, one thing at a time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is very possible, pretty sure it came as a 6 volt and someone converted it but it still has a generator not alternator. But the positive post is bolted to the transmission housing.

·
Super Moderator
8,045 Posts
Not saying it could be.any other way but I have never seen a 6v system with a negative ground on an old tractor. All I ever had or worked around were positive ground systems. I have changed several tractors from 6 to 12v systems. The new12v systems were negative ground with an alternator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its definitely a generator and the positive wire goes to the tranny housing and negative to the starter solenoid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still no reply from New Zealand abot my voltage regulator. Not charging but it runs off the generator fine and charge it up now and then. Another question though. Are the steering arms on a 300U wide front supposed to be the same length. One is an inch shorter and the wheel twitches when I turn or hit a bump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts