Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the lack of a real winter last year, and the hot, dry summer over a large part of the nation, will we have an early fall and frost, or will winter not come, if it does until December? I realize that cooler weather is weeks away, but we can talk about being cooler while we sweat this heat out. I think extremes usually follow one another. I don't know when it will happen, but as the season cools, I think more widespread rain will come. If it stays hot and dry, I believe hurricane season could be suppressed.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
We usually dont have our first frost until near Thanksgiving, but I think we'll get it earlier. I have a feeling its going to be a cold dry winter. We actaully are doing OK on rain, got like 1/2' here today, and it comes pretty regular so the grass is still green, but the crops and gardens are all but done for, unless its hay. Although, I cut my feild back in June, and usually its near time for its 2nd cutting of the year, (Iusually cut it 3 times a year to keep the seeds down) but I think I cut just about cut it with my lawn mower.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I remember a few dry, hot summers that were followed by early killing frosts. 1977 comes to mind. There was lots of tobacco lost due to frost that year. Harvesting was delayed because of the summer drought. A few years ago, 2008 I think, we were dry until early September, ground soaking rain came, and tobacco began to grow and mature. I just knew much of it would be lost, but there was no killing frost until mid-November. There was lots of baccer cured in these parts after the first of November. That season woulda made my Grandaddy's grow hair :!:

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
We haven't had an early Fall for the past few years. Two years ago we had drought conditions from Aug. through the end of the year.
Stayed warm until Thanksgiving, then had our first snow on Thanksgiving for too many years to count. Had several snowfalls that year,
but they were light and powdery, and only amounted to an inch of rain from Dec. through Mar.
Last year's Fall was a lot of the same. Though Nov. through Mar. brought us normal rainfall, the winter temps. as we all know, never really showed up.
No, I don't look for an early Fall this year. I think that we will be warm up into late November again. I'm hopeful for a Winter with more normal conditions. ;)

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I remember the winter of 77/78 very well, even though I was only like 8. We had the first and only blizzard come through the area. The power had been out for 2 days already due to ice, and the fireplace was our only heat. We were sitting looking out the window, and you could see the snow coming. It looked like a big white blob heading right for us. the wind picked up and the snow got so thick it was almost dark in the house. That went on for about 3 hours, and IIRC, there was like 19" fell an hour. The next day, dad made his way out to my uncles D9 Cat and started digging stuff out. I had to ride on top of the ROPS to tell dad which way to go, and got sick from the exhaust fumes. Mom was taking meat out of the freezer and putting it out in the snow. Couldnt find one of our dogs, who ran out when Dad opened the door too far, but he had somehow gotten to the barn under all that snow. Lost some chickens and 2 cows. Took about 3 weeks to get "back to normal".

·
Registered
270 Posts
My Dad always talked about 1936 in North Dakota. The summer was really hot, got as high as 116, which is very hot for ND. Drought and heat cooked the crops so they didn't get much. The winter that followed was the worst winter he ever experienced, with both extreme low temperatures and deep snow. The car was buried in a big snowbank and he drove over it with the team and hay sleigh all winter.

Just saying - it might happen again. Might be good to prepare for it, just in case.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
You know...... Before King Henry the 8th.......... God was a woman (hence the saying "hell knows no fury like that of a womans scorn). King Henry felt that a male God would be more fearsome, so God became a he ever since.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I can remember my grandfather talking about '36. (Central Kentucky)
he said corn did not make an ear and sold for fodder for $1.00 for all you could pile on a wagon.
the large farmers that rent my bins said they were bailing their corn to feed cows.
I have had 1" of rain since Apr.24
Have no idea what the winter may bring, If I had to guess I would say we will pay for last years mild winter and the drought. maybe even the hot summer. Based strictly on the balance in nature theory.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John M said:
I remember the winter of 77/78 very well, even though I was only like 8. We had the first and only blizzard come through the area. The power had been out for 2 days already due to ice, and the fireplace was our only heat. We were sitting looking out the window, and you could see the snow coming. It looked like a big white blob heading right for us. the wind picked up and the snow got so thick it was almost dark in the house. That went on for about 3 hours, and IIRC, there was like 19" fell an hour. The next day, dad made his way out to my uncles D9 Cat and started digging stuff out. I had to ride on top of the ROPS to tell dad which way to go, and got sick from the exhaust fumes. Mom was taking meat out of the freezer and putting it out in the snow. Couldnt find one of our dogs, who ran out when Dad opened the door too far, but he had somehow gotten to the barn under all that snow. Lost some chickens and 2 cows. Took about 3 weeks to get "back to normal".
John, Mrs. Jim and I lived in Shelby, NC during the winter of 77-78. I don't remember a blizzard-like snow, but I do remember the severe ice storm we had. Trees, limbs, and power lines littered the city.
My dad and brother were growing tobacco back then. The dry , hot summer of 77 delayed harvest and reduced yield and quality greatly. I remember them telling me about priming tobacco way up in October in freezing rain/mist. They would work awhile and go in a barn that was curing to get warm. I was home one weekend, and I went with Dad to check a barn of baccer he was curing at a neighbor's farm. a stiff wind was blowing, and farmers were having a tough time of getting "killing out" temperatures in the barns. We got out of his truck next to the barn and it sounded like a jet engine in the barn. This barn had propane burners in it (the first ones I had ever seen), and they were screaming and pushed to their limit to get the temp to go up.
When it did snow that winter, it stayed forever. That is also the winter that the Alligator River froze up down in Eastern NC on the way to Manteo. The bridge over the river was damaged by the ice and had to be closed for repairs.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Yes sir, we had several ice storms that year, but the blizzrd is one of my most vivid memories. My closest neighbor, at the time, was about 1/4 mile away, and could see his house just vanish in the snow as it cam rolling. I dont recall how Dad found out it was heading for us, maybe my grandmother called, since the phones were working, but I recollect Dad all of a sudden going nuts bringing in firewood, amd food from the outside freezer. First time I ever saw my Dad scared!!! I talked to Mom last night about it and she says the paper said it covered like a 20 - 30 mile wide area.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I remember hearing of the winter of 1993. Dad was working at a neighboring dairy farm, we had a blizzard that dropped over 3 feet overnight. He had to get to work but everyone was snowed in. No tractors were plugged in, but he somehow managed to get the 4560 started and the 4020 started to plow the roads. That scared my dad cause my mom was pregnant with me :shock:

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
My Dad told me of the storm in the mid 70's that hit RI. He and the step mother would use cross country skis to get food from the store. He told me you could tell when you skied over a car as the metal would clink. He went across a convertible. Said it was interesting to see a sinkhole suddenly appear after him as his weight made the snow cave in the car. He skied over to Thayer Square and all the traffic lights were blinking away for no traffic.

During cleanup there was a story that a front end loader was being used to clear the red bridge. One of the scoops the loader dumped over the side had a car sticking out of it floating down the seekonk.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I remember the winter of 64-65, I was at Great Lakes, Ill. and we had an ice storm where we skated down the street to the ball diamond to play. I was on my second enlistment and going to Electronics Technician Class "A" school, so I wern't no kid. Boy it was COLD to this Carolina boy! :? :eek: :shock: :shock:

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
Sure feels like Autumn today, when it's not raining there's still a misty drizzle in the air, but it's around 72 degrees so there's not a chill.
Looks like Autumn is gonna get here right on time. According to the weatherguessers Saturday will bring in cooler air than the last front.
We already had a couple of upper forties for lows this past week, mid forties and upper sixties forecast for the weekend. Bring it on!!! :D
Perfect weather for working outside!!! I hope it's here to stay for a while, and I was wrong with my guess. ;)

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
Fall, Right on time, 34 and frost on the pumpkin this morning. ;)
Weatherguesser says it's been ten years since it's been this cool so soon after Summer.

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Supposed to wind up somewhere between 45 and 50 here in the morning. In the last couple of days, one of the big maples that borders my year has begun to change color and drop leaves.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts