Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only trouble is the engine smokes and fouls the plug so quick the machine is unusable. I took the head off the engine. The cylinder wall is scored pretty bad.. The engine is an old 5 horsepower Briggs and Stratton. The question I have is can these old engines be bored or sleeved? Or could another new style engine be used on the machine? The rest of the machine is in good shape and tills real nice. I think it is worth fixing. Right now with the pandemic new tillers are hard to get.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Take it to a small engine shop. They can tell you if it can be bored over size or sleeved.

If you decide to re-power it, get the numbers off the motor, look up the spec especially bolt pattern for mounting and Shaft height and size. Then compare new ones to these spec.

I don't know which way would be more economical.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've repowered a couple pieces with harbor freight engines. Once I get the engine off the tiller I was going to compare and measure. Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
8,387 Posts
I put a horizontal Harbor Freight engine similar to your Briggs on a woodsplitter. It has worked well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts