Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all you Ford guys! I've got a question for you.

Did Ford ever build and sell a Ford 6000 with LP Gas Engine set-up from the factory?

There is currently a "standard" version for sale in my area that is on LP. They are calling it a Commander 6000, but by the front end it is pre-Commander vintage.

I have three pieces of original sales literature on the Ford 6000 (one red/gray the other two blue/gray tractors but still showing red equipment), and those only show gas and diesel engines available. I have one piece of sales literature on the Commander 6000, and it also only shows gas and diesel engines available.

However, in Randy Leffingwell's 1998 published book titled "Ford Farm Tractors", he has two photos of a Commander 6000 with LPG engine set-up... The hood modifications and LP tank on that tractor look pretty much identical to the one on this 6000 for sale in my area... Were they factory, or just a pretty good farmer/dealer conversion??

I would appreciate any thoughts you have on this, or other advise on where to find the data.

Thanks,

John B.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I'm not ignoring you, I don't know. Be patient and some of our experts will chime in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link. It confirms a couple of other sources information that Ford made an LP version of the Commander 6000, but did not make a factory version of the preceding 6000 tractor. Therefore the one that sold today was not a factory original, but a pretty good conversion which appeared to be at least based on, if not using parts from the Commander 6000. With this information, I opted out of the bidding.

Thanks again,

John

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking for a picture of a Ford 6000 that had a weird tank, on the hood, just in front of the steering wheel. My Uncle, had blue and white one. The tank was for LPG. The information on the 6000 Engines said, yes they made LPG engines 3.7 litre same size as the Diesel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts