Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at my wits end on this one. Total rebuild here. NOS block,pistons, etc... Head has new everything. Valve guides springs push rod tubes valves everything. First assembly and start up had water in oil. Water was in valve cover flowing back into crankcase. Took it apart cleaned everything found nothing wrong. Second assembly and start up had water in cylinders coming from two outer valves (exhaust). Had head pressure checked and no leakage. Third assembly with new head gasket manifold gasket etc... start up and run to 160 degrees (operating temp) shut down let cool then re torque head to 96 ft lbs. Have water in oil again. Can't figure this out. Any ideas cause this is driving me crazy.

JHolland

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am at my wits end on this one. Total rebuild here. NOS block,pistons, etc... Head has new everything. Valve guides springs push rod tubes valves everything. First assembly and start up had water in oil. Water was in valve cover flowing back into crankcase. Took it apart cleaned everything found nothing wrong. Second assembly and start up had water in cylinders coming from two outer valves (exhaust). Had head pressure checked and no leakage. Third assembly with new head gasket manifold gasket etc... start up and run to 160 degrees (operating temp) shut down let cool then re torque head to 96 ft lbs. Have water in oil again. Can't figure this out. Any ideas cause this is driving me crazy.

JHolland
I have a tool to build up the pressure in the cooling system, it just screws on any radiator, bought it from the Mac tool guy probably 50 yrs ago, if you haven't found the leak and can find one of these tools, put about 20 pounds pressure on the system

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a tool to build up the pressure in the cooling system, it just screws on any radiator, bought it from the Mac tool guy probably 50 yrs ago, if you haven't found the leak and can find one of these tools, put about 20 pounds pressure on the system
Thanks for the reply. I can fab something up. That is the only thing left to do. Have found another head but it will cost 461.00 shipped from California. Guy swears it to be good. Lately I have done nothing but throw hundred dollar bills at this thing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I can fab something up. That is the only thing left to do. Have found another head but it will cost 461.00 shipped from California. Guy swears it to be good. Lately I have done nothing but throw hundred dollar bills at this thing.
these tractors are great when running and working, but when something goes wrong, they are just a money pit. there should be a head out there a lot cheaper than that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts