·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for Jimmy

·
Super Moderator
1,632 Posts
The water melons we're buying from the supermarkets at the moment, are nowhere near that size. If they were I might pay the asking of $7 for one. :roll:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jwal10 said:
Is that a fresh one now? Or a summer melon? Is it a recent picture?

....James
Taken this summer at State Fair Grand Champion and broke the record weight. 387 lbs

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
It favors a Crimson Sweet. There's another elongated variety grown south and east of us that the locals call "Rattlesnake." I have never been able to find seed for them though.
The way growers produce the BIG melons for contests is fairly common among those growers whether they grow melons or punkins. They often prepare special sites for their plantings with their own fertilizer recipes. All fruit that is set on the vines will usually be removed except one. It is watered and fertilized throughout the season. As the fruit grows, it is shaded or covered to protect it from the sun.
The fairs here are held a while after melon growing season, so they are no doubt have to be stored awhile properly so they do not spoil. Punkins are probably easier since many are harvested in the fall.
I have never heard of anyone eating any of the large melons. I wonder if all the efforts to pump up their size make their taste undesirable :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Was just wondering if these really large watermellon have the taste
that a regular size has.? Amy one tasted of a really large one?

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
bettyp said:
Was just wondering if these really large watermellon have the taste
that a regular size has.? Amy one tasted of a really large one?
Betty, I don't try to grow really big ones. A big one for me is about 40 pounds, and they taste the same as a 10 pounder. ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Was just wondering if the eating part would be stringy or not?

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
I can't say for sure, but if it had too much nitrogen, it would have white streaks through it. They would be bitter.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jim few years back I got to know a gal whose Dad raise them for show and she keep telling me he milked them..I finally asked how you milk a water melon and here what she told me.. He would plant 3 or 4 of the seeds and when the biggest one would show it was the biggest he would pull all the vines around it and put a tent over it..When he first planted the seed he would put a 2 inch pipe from the seed to top of ground..After putting a tent over it he would pour milk into pipe right to the root..He did a gallon a day when it was growing so that is how you milk a water melon.. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Jr, if it works...I do know that most folks who grow large veggies for fairs use liquid fertilizers and liquid concoctions of their secret ingredients. Liquids work quicker, and it seems to me that one would have to keep things growing, or the plant would work more towards productin seeds. Maybe the milk provided calcium :?: :?: :?:

·
Registered
395 Posts
some peaple use a medicale intervenuce bag with hose and put heedle directly into plant and feed it that way to get large pumpkins and grow them in green houses

·
Registered
395 Posts
Jim in NC said:
Jr, if it works...I do know that most folks who grow large veggies for fairs use liquid fertilizers and liquid concoctions of their secret ingredients. Liquids work quicker, and it seems to me that one would have to keep things growing, or the plant would work more towards productin seeds. Maybe the milk provided calcium :?: :?: :?:
you want to knqw your fertilizer as some nitrogen types are to promote foiler growth and some are for fruit set different types calciums can be tricky also

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
If that what they do to large ones
I'll just settle for a regular size.

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
bettyp said:
Betty, I'd want a watermelon to taste like a watermelon, not a glass of milk :!: ;) :lol:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Jim in NC said:
bettyp said:
Betty, I'd want a watermelon to taste like a watermelon, not a glass of milk :!: ;) :lol:
Me to Jim.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Really neat - like Jimmy I thought it resembled a Crimson Sweet. And Jimmy - the rattlesnake watermelons can be found in some seed catalogs if you're ever interested, I'll try to look through some of mine laying around and let you know more specifically. I still can't understand how the vine itself could grow such a monstrosity of a melon... I've seen large melons grown and always been impressed at how small the vine can look in comparison - but that is a whole other level! :lol: My hats off to the grower(s.)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts