Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Haven't been on for a while. Hope things have been good.
Last fall I decided to go look at a WD45 wide front at a local consignment auction. I decided to sell one of my tractors the old WD and have some money towards a new tractor. Well I did not get the wide front tractor as it went for way more than I was willing to spend. So I bid on a WD45 narrow front end and became the owner. Other than have a few good redeeming qualities it may be a lot rougher than the one I sold that day.
I brought this 45 home and began looking at all the systems. Some things have been repaired just to get it ready to do some work (plowing snow).

As it sets at the daughters place to plow the driveway:

Back blade, low cost heat houser:

Did complete tune up a week ago, and had to change hydraulic oil due to cold weather functionality.

Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,031 Posts
It looks pretty good to me. ;)

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, Folks,
Stuck on the Allis-Chalmers I guess. Just in the blood from the farm. Bigger toys for the bigger boys! Always wanted a 45 so now I have one. Be careful what you wish for!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Folks,
Update on this WD45. Not sure there is any good news!:) Its being torn down, hopefully to be rebuilt into a good working tractor by this time next year.
Short story is that the block cracked thru all the webs, top and bottom! Water going into oil. Needed good used block and then another crank too.
Machine shop is into the work. Line honeing the mains. Crank will be .020 under mins and rods. New valves, guides and springs for the head.

Grill refurb:

Fender refurb:

Hood:

Tear down in process:

Final drive:

Parts cleaned and primed: WD45 in kit form!:)

Regards,
Chris

Reactions: Jim in NC

·
Super Moderator
8,031 Posts
Glad to see you are making progress and thanks for updating us. Excellent work. Your gonna have a better than new tractor when you finish it!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim,
Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
Chris

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Hope you got all those parts marked to put back together. :eek:
But then, you've done up another to look at if you get lost. ;)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Looking good Chris !! I really like those old Allis 45's. Of course I like the regular WD's, C's, B's, CA's.....the list goes on. You do a bang-up job man...looks professional in the pics.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guy!
You do need a good set of instructions to put one of these back together!:)
Hope you folks have been doing good. I dont check in very often. And I do need to do it more! Good folks on this forum!
FYI Still taking the 45 apart and cleaning and repairing parts. Of course not a show tractor by any means, but hope to have it running by this time next year. Sounds a long way off, but I have a lot to do on it. Haven't got the engine back from the machine shop yet. Its only been 6 months. Oh well money is tight so we just plod along.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Folks,
Sorry I have been spending a lot of time on the Allis Forum. I know you folks are still here, hope things are good!
I wanted to report that I have completed this WD45 project and have been attending shows and tractor pulls. I refurbished this tractor to stock conditions except for a few custom things like 12 volt conversion and dash arrangement.
Couple pictures:

Me and the great grandsons on the WD45:

Regards,
Chris

·
Super Moderator
8,031 Posts
A great job Chris! Yall will enjoy it. Has your grandson been bitten by the "old tractor bug"?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jim,
Yes Nic has been pulling his WD tractor at a few of the antique pulls this year and usually does pretty good. Our son Adam, came in from Denver to pull at the local fair too. Nice to see the family involved!
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
350 Posts
Congrats on the restore. You did a fantastic job.
Looks great :good:

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
R.J., Folks,
You may have seen it in my threads but I don't use the word restoration. I refer to my work as a refurb, clean and paint! Restoration is a whole different level. My brain just doesn't go there. Good enough is good enough for me.
Thank your for the kind words.
Regards,
Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts