Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently acquired a WD45. It usually starts good but twice it has cut out while running, and won't start (starter goes and goes until battery dies).

I'm not experienced with mechanics but got ahold of the seller who said it sounds like there might be an issue with the carborator floats. I took the carb apart and put it back together and it fired up, but seemed to be running rich (sputtering, would spit out gas from air intake stack when turning off). I wasn't too concerned because it was running. Yesterday, it did the same thing where it just randomly stopped and won't restart.

Here's some pictures of parts of the fuel system and tractor; I appreciate any help you can offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
This sounds like it could also be in the ignition system . A condenser could get hot and cut off like you are describing. Have you determined if it has spark when this happens.

Remember you need fuel, air and spark for an engine to work. One of them is missing when it dies.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I haven't tested that yet, what would be the best way to do that?

And for clarity, it continued not starting through a couple of battery discharges and recharges until I took apart the carb and or it back together. It's in that state now.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
The issue of it running rich and spitting fuel after shut down is probably not related to the engine quitting but could cause spark plug fowling. That happen after you took it apart.
There may be some utube videos on zenith carb rebuilds.
On the carburetor float inside there is sometimes a tab by where the hinge pin goes through that you bend too adjust the float fuel level. That could be causing a too high fuel level in the bowl.
Also if your fuel supply to the carb. is too little the float can drop to far and cause the needle valve to jam And therefore when fuel fills it doesn't close the valve and will overfill and run out. Running rich and spitting fuel.
Quitting sounds like condenser or coil but first unhook the fuel line from the carb. and hold it over a container and watch it drain for a couple minutes to see if its slow. You need steady flow of fuel

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Check for loose wires to the ignition, coil and related connections.
You have a nice workhorse tractor there. Inconsistent problems are often bad wires. And we have all seen old tractor wiring patch jobs.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
To check spark you can remove a spark plug and put the wire on and ground the side of the plug on a bare spot on engine and turn over the engine and watch the electrodes for a spark. also look for spark between the points while turning over the engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the great advice. I got a sparkplug tester and identified that the sparkplugs were fouled and needed replaced. Done and she's running again!

The guy I bought it from, whom I trusted, assured me the ignition and spark should be strong. Note that I said trustED. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
The longer you own your tractor the more you will appreciate its value.
That issue you spoke of earlier in the thread about it running rich and spitting fuel should get your attention when time allows. Excessive fuel fowls plugs. Keep a spare set of plugs in a dry place for backup.
Glad you got her thumping again !!
Keep posting

1 - 10 of 10 Posts