Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A line of storms went through around 6pm with quarter-sized hail, heavy rain, and keen lightning. A bolt hit very close to the house. We haven't found out where it hit yet, but we lost a cordless phone, the tvs are messed up, and the puter mouse was actin' up, but seems ok now. I am sure I lost at least one fence charger. We had one circuit breaker kicked out, and we went through the house several times from attic to cellar looking for smoke or any burning smell. we have had close ones before, but this was the loudest and brightest. We checked barns and trees close in the yard but so far have seen nothing. The really odd thing is that the lights and tv that were on in the kitchen did not flicker. Praise the Lord we are safe! :!:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Praise the Lord indeed! Thats some scary stuff Jim :shock:

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Derick, I remember a few times over the years that homes struck by lightning afterwards caught fire. Something eletrical would get hot or a smoldering roof would ignite. That was my concern more than anything else. We went out several times checking things, probably when we shouldn't have, looking for smoke, etc. One porch window was open and when I went into that room, I got a wiff of something that smelled like oak wood burning. I figured an oak had been struck, but haven't found one yet.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Wow, 5-6 years back a tree was hit about 20 foot off the back of our house. The tree was split through and it blew a squirrel right out of his coat! No fire but if it split the wrong way it was headed into the house

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, we are still having storms this morning, although they seem a bit tamer than those yesterday. There has been hail closeby again today. I am gonna get out later an look things over again. TVs still ain't workin' right and the puter is acting strange so I am gonna have electronic issues for a while. I think lightning took out my tv signal amplifier. Before I could get about 40 channels, and now I am lucky to get 8 to 10.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Jim i hope thats the end of problems, and when You do find out where it hit its nothing more major. That lightnings sure unpredictable

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Glad to hear you are safe and with no bad damage. Lightning can do a lot of bad things. When I was about 14 it struck a tree on my grandpas farm we had a barb wire fence nailed to and apparently ran the wire as the cattle were coming up the fence and killed 13 of his cows.

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Hope you don't find too much damage. We've been hit twice. Once in each house we've owned.
When all you see out the window is bright orange, and it leaves a sulphur taste in your mouth, you know it was close. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yesterday morning in Davie County, about 15 miles west of Winston-Salem, a storm dropped 4 to 5 inches of hail. It was part of the line of storms that hit you John. We think things are ok other than a blown fence charger, tv, and puter issues. Some cows got out yesterday morning because the fence was off. I have a couple of momma cows that will not keep their heads inside the fence :!: :? :x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts