Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now it is really cold (35F) outside for the plants and the bees. We have only 4 lilacs in bloom now some how they escaped the hard frost that the other 20 plants got hit by and lost there flower buds. We have a yellow honey suckle in bloom one bush out of three and it appears that the pink are not going to bloom at all. The flowering crab had the sparsest bloom i've seen in 27 years usally a favorite of the bees and not one this year. Apple trees are blooming at odd times also when they usally bloom all at once. I have two about gone by and one just budding out. The red buds didn't do much more than let you know they were red buds. wild plum was a wash out too. The pears flowered and held on for about a week.
Flowering Almonds, the one on the back side of the house east side bloomed a week ago and is holding on to them it seems. The one on the west side of the house just barly has leaf buds on it despite the warmer after noon sun it gets.
The quince bushes had good blooms but it was in the high 30F low 40F range then so the bees were not flying.

Daffidils bloomed at three different time even though they were planted beside each other. Tulips never did bloom for some reason.

The girls seem to be working dandalions and creeping charlie when it warms up.
Weather person said yesterday we are having some strange weather also. About 5F below normal then add in the wind chil from the strong winds we seem to have every day and it feels like 10F below our normal 60F.
Even the trees are not leafing out like normal. Waiting on the Ginkos so I can see if I need to pound some fertilizer stake in around them but they just ain't even showing signs of budding out.

Walking thru the woods is like walking shrunk down thru a pick up sticks game children are playing. Can't believe the amount of up rooted trees and ones with snapped off tops not to mention the ones just plain blowen down, adding in the limbs.

Going to have lots of wood to cut for fire wood out of that mess.

The wind was on the weak side yeaterday only hitting 40 MPH at the peak the wether station recorded.

This weather has brought out the whiners in droves. That 10 days of 70F, 80F weather in March really fixed their wagon good.

I love to say this is MICHIGAN live with it or south is that away stop when your happy.

During that heat wave my daughter in Wisconsin built some raise beds for veggies. I told her not to plant any thing yet. Now she is calling and telling me she has to cover the stuff so much she needs to go buy a tent. I tell her to listen to me next time when I say not to plant any thing.

:D Al

·
Registered
926 Posts
Ya'll enjoy the cool while its there. Weather gurus are calling it to peak 2morrow just under 100. Bout a month early for that; even here.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya and we all know that the Weather gurus are always right. That is why we didn't have the record cold and record snow depth they had forecasted for this past winter. Their about the only group other than the bunch in Washington that doesn'thave a real clue about whats going on.
They forecast with a 50% chance of being right.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea, rollercoaster wheather. Second day with snow over green grass, high wind and rain in the afternoon. We had 26 celsius a month ago, in march.

Westazur

·
Registered
926 Posts
alleyyooper said:
Ya and we all know that the Weather gurus are always right. That is why we didn't have the record cold and record snow depth they had forecasted for this past winter. Their about the only group other than the bunch in Washington that doesn'thave a real clue about whats going on.
They forecast with a 50% chance of being right.

Yessir; and they generally hit the 50% thats wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,505 Posts
Our spring & Summer was a miserable one. Not like the weather of past years. But for a week now, its been an Indian summer, I sure hope it lasts for a few weeks longer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
After a couple of days of record high temps we are now back to cold miserable weather. Wearing parka to work out in the yard and running the furnace to keep warm in the house.

·
Super Moderator
7,854 Posts
April weather in March, and March weather in April here :!: :roll:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Not sure what to expect here in Illinois. Getting some days with frost and others we get to 70*.
Weather guessers need to put the rain at 50% for everyday so they are half wrong or half right.

·
Registered
395 Posts
long range looks good after sun but lows of 28 to32 to then i will plant a couple acres sweet corn sunday all the apple trees in this area are in soft blossom so i imagine that crop is ruined cherries got hit 2 weeks ago rubbarb has some frost damage and asparagrass is just starting 3 weeks early for this area wheat looks burnt and some spring barley has been planted for3 weeks and not up yet some corn was planted in western ont easter weekend i dubt its any good and crop insurance has sent out notices they wont cover corn planted before today

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got down to 22F last night. Kare went out to look at the front door garden all flowers and shrubs. All the leaves she saaid are mush.

Weather guy said this morning we are 2 inchs low on rain for April.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts