Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome two the Ford-N-Fordson Board. Make yourself at home and post any questions, comments or pictures of your projects.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello 640 ford: I,m Barney (the mule) Stephens.I am a new member of ATF.I am a proud owner of (2) 640 fords.# 1 is in better than average shape.# 2 has been neglected to the extent that the whole tractor takes on the image of total neglect.(Rust bucket)It was changed from LP to regular gas.I have the engine torn down and #4 cylinder has pitts around the sleeve.My concern is how much can be safely milled off the engine block,before it takes away from the blocks effective performance.I think the pitts are less than 100 thousants deep.Question? have you experienced this kind of problem??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barney Stephens said:
Hello 640 ford: I,m Barney (the mule) Stephens.I am a new member of ATF.I am a proud owner of (2) 640 fords.# 1 is in better than average shape.# 2 has been neglected to the extent that the whole tractor takes on the image of total neglect.(Rust bucket)It was changed from LP to regular gas.I have the engine torn down and #4 cylinder has pitts around the sleeve.My concern is how much can be safely milled off the engine block,before it takes away from the blocks effective performance.I think the pitts are less than 100 thousants deep.Question? have you experienced this kind of problem??
Hi Barney.

I have not had a problem like that, so I am not sure how much can be safley milled off. There are a some guys on here that would know that info. If you have any more questions feel free to post, I am very sure there is someone here that can help.

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
I realize this is a old post and I would be resurrecting the dead.

If you mill it down, remember to either double your head gasket or make a gasket shim the thickness of what you milled. Now some can be milled off and increase your compression. Just food for thought.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts