Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our wonderful new neighbor offered to come over and try to jet a new well for us. We wanted to have a separate one for the garden and washing vehicles. I've never had a well before so no nothing about them. Learned alot though.
He's a farmer so he has his semi with the large water tanks for filling his sprayers. He's got a pump with a 2" lay flat hose hooked to a 20' piece of 2" pvc.

Set the pipe on the ground where you want to try and turn the pump on.

It will go down pretty fast till you hit a layer of clay and your pretty much done. You can see that it only dropped about 10' - 11'. Thats where we stopped.

Stick the points in the ground (we did 2 because he wasn't sure how good the holes were) and put the puzzle pieces together and walaaaaaaa - -

W--A--T--E--R---------------------------------------------------------- :D :D :cool:

Been so hot though that the pump would overheat so I put a 'Y' splitter on the hose and let one trickle on the pump to keep it cool. Also put the plywood up to keep the sun off it. Worked pretty good.
The pump belongs to the neighbor but he might sell it to me. All together should run under $300 for everything.

For now it'll all just stay above ground and I'll pull the pump for the winter. I put a ball vavle in so the water can drain out of the lines.

·
849 Posts
Interesting. That doesn't work around here - too much limestone. I have a well on the back of my place but it's about too far away to do me any good :?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought it was quite interesting myself. Like I said, never knew anything about them. Took more time to hook up the sprinkler than it did to put the hole in the ground. Only took around 15 seconds to put that hole in the ground.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Ron
I lived in the river bottoms in the 80s & 90s. We thought we had died and gone to heaven when we started putting the wells in this way. Beats the heck out of driving the well point with a sledge hammer

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
I have had this question in my mind since the discussion of how close to the surface that water is in your area Ron. Are there any special requirements regarding, grading, building a home, or any structure in your parts since water is so close to the top of the ground? If wells could be put in that easy here, there's no doubt they would be regulations and fines prohibiting them.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Jim in NC said:
I have had this question in my mind since the discussion of how close to the surface that water is in your area Ron. Are there any special requirements regarding, grading, building a home, or any structure in your parts since water is so close to the top of the ground? If wells could be put in that easy here, there's no doubt they would be regulations and fines prohibiting them.
How are you regulated there? We must first get a Health dept permit and then a building permit and the well has to be inspected before you can pump. Real headache.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Just wondering with the sand so deep and water table high, do you see a lot of sinkholes in the area?
The water table around here varies from just under the ground in the winter to about ten feet deep in the summer.
It tends to develop sinkholes now and then. I've got sandy soil compared to most around here, but not pure sand like you.

Ya know Ron that's not unlike the way we replaced hydraulic elevator jacks in an existing hole that was backfilled with sand.
We used compressed air and a 3/4" pvc pipe to jet the sand and drop the new jack to the bottom of the hole.
I bet you could do a well with compressed air, that deep. I've dropped a cylinder ten feet jetting sand once it stopped.
That way you would know just when and how good a water supply you hit.

·
Super Moderator
7,852 Posts
Stephenscity said:
Jim in NC said:
How are you regulated there? We must first get a Health dept permit and then a building permit and the well has to be inspected before you can pump. Real headache.
We have to get a well drillin' permit. The inspector comes out and says where it must go. So far from septic tank and lines, from property line, and from home or buildings. The old well must be filled and sealed for liability purposes, and maybe they don't want us usin' too much of our water :?:
Ennyway, with all the talk at the time in the General Assembly of the state writing more regulations and possibly passing them to counties, we went ahead with our drillin' to avoid a more complicated affair in the future. Since ours was on a farm, I thought about the rules and asked about an irrigation well or one for watering livestock. It was decided that this was the purpose for the new well, and the restrictions were less stringent. We did not have to fill the old one.
The well was inspected after drilling and a water test was required. There was coliform bacteria present. The inspector noted that about 2/3 of the wells in the county had it, and it was not a threat to human health. The well driller tried a couple more times to get a "clean" sample but failed. He came back and sealed off he first vein of water he hit going down. There were 3 veins of water feeding the new well. He said it contained mostly surface water. The next test came back good. The county told him that he needed to do no more tests before he sealed it off since it was gonna be a "watering" well. He and I knew different though.
I found a driller that worked with me to work the system. It's a shame things have to be done that way.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No permits needed. Just jet n go. As far as regulations with the house I have no idea. I would just think I'd like to be the one to be sure your not going to build my house on top of a high water table. Neighbor also said they're are a lot of water viens that run around under ground here. So its probably that and not just a pocket of water. Not for sure, again I'm just learning about all this as well.
Sink holes????????? Mainly caused by groundhogs :x :x They burrow in the fields and creat them. Haven't really heard of any from the water being high. Still again, new to the area and got to ask more questions of the locals.

We did have a water test done before buying the house and everything is good. The house well is only 18' deep and its about 150' from the one we just jetted in.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stephenscity said:
Hey Wendall check out that first picture :!: :!: Anything look familiar :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ooh, Ooh - I know, I know - - - - - - - -

Colin finally is following in my footsteps and just watching others work :eek: :shock: :? :lol: :lol:

Hows that for a guess???

·
Registered
658 Posts
We have to be so far from the septic tank and leach field. EPA has to have their hands on giving the OK on everything.
Sure wish I could do that for my garden too!!!!!! No chance of it by my garden lots of clay and rock :roll:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Stephenscity said:
Hey Wendall check out that first picture :!: :!: Anything look familiar :shock: :shock: :shock:
Hmmmmm... same ol, same ol, ain't that right, Mike ?? :D :D Ron, I find this really interesting. I have never heard of or seen anything quite like this before. Is the water pure enough for drinking or only for irrigation and stuff ? I know you said the sandy soil filtered it exceptionally well. This type of well is unheard of around here. Shallowest I know of is 210' with the majority being 300, 350 up to 500'. Some even deeper.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
missouri massey man said:
Stephenscity said:
Hmmmmm... same ol, same ol, ain't that right, Mike ?? :D :D

And now you would like a nice answer from me :roll: :roll: Yea right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, I'll be nice - - - - -
I drank out of the hose yesterday and I'm still going. Tasted just fine. Like I said, this well is about 150' from the house well and we had that water tested before buying though this one is mainly for garden and vehicle washing.

·
Super Moderator
847 Posts
If trying that here we would hit rock at about 8-10'. How do you prevent the system from pumping mud up with the water? Here we put steel casing down to and slightly into the rock.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We hooked a hand pump to it at first and pumped until mud and sand was gone. Hooked the ele. pump up and haven't had anything but clear water. The points just have very thin slits in them. Enough to let water through but not much else. We used PVC points. Here's a link to a SS point. These have holes as aposed to slits.
http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/pu ... c-8672.htm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts