Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from East Texas again!

My journey with the 71 Ford 4000 continues. The brake rod seals were leaking and I was intimidated by the wet brakes, so I hired a highly recommended diesel mechanic to tackle the job. He was reluctant, but not reluctant enough. When I got it back, the leaks were fixed, but now it sounds like there is something loose and grinding on the left. I had no luck getting him to open it back up, so i'm stuck. I bought $500+ for brake parts and I don't want to ruin them. Some of you guys know more about these tractors than I will when I die. If you can help, you'll be my new best friend!

Do any of you know of a source of a better tech manual than the IT shop manual or a video that would keep me from taking it to a dealer?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I tried looking for a different manual online, and this is what I came up with.
Supposed to be the actual shop manual the dealerships had on hand.
Hope this may help you some. looks like it covers the 1965-1975 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 and 7000 series plus more. Link will take you to manual.
http://www.dadzoolife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/ford_tractor_2000-7000_1975-1975.pdf

Maybe someone else will chime in that knows more about this particular series than me, and give you a little more help.

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
The seals dont require a mechanic to pull the axles. You can replace them from the outside in less than 5 minutes. Very easy job. Getting at the brakes is more complicated. So I doubt the mechanic actually removed the axle.

·
Registered
202 Posts
What all did he replace?
As Sofaspud said the brake rod seals are serviceable from the outside, no need to dissemble the axle.
Did he reinstall both pedal return springs under the right foot board, if not the weight of the pedal will cause the brakes to drag.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the lead to the manual. I bought all of the brake discs and seals for both sides. When I went by his shop, he had the tires off, the fenders off and the whole rear end of the tractor apart.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Is there a reason you decided to do a full brake job rather than just replacing the seals.
If the highly recommended diesel mechanic convinced you to do it, he's a idiot or just wanted to rip you off.
The right side brake on my 4500 needs replaced due to it being ran with a broken pedal return spring.
The brakes on the rest of my tractors are original with plenty of adjustment left.
The rear axle didn't have to be disassembled to replace the seals,their located and can be replace from the outside.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The disc brakes on the 4000/5000 are very simple, You have the outer brake surface, that is actually the outer cover, a lined disc. the two piece actuator, held together with three or four heavy springs, with steel ball bearing that roll in tapered ramps to apply the brakes, then the inner brake disc. Used to do a brake job on them in less than an hour. It's possible he didn't get one of the retainer springs into place and its rubbing., or as mentioned previously, the pedal return spring isn't connected, or broke.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Replacing the brakes on one of these tractors isn't difficult with the proper equipment but it can be intimidating the first time.
Skipper what part of the brake replacement did you do in less than one hour?
One would have to be in a well equipped shop to remove the axle housing and assembly with the wheel attached, service the brakes and reassemble the axle to the center housing in one hour.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My apologies; I had to go back and refresh my old memory. I was crossing them up in my mind, with the Super Major Dry disc brakes. The 4000/5000 are a bit more labor intensive.

·
Registered
202 Posts
All good, my little shop is NOT well equipped, takes me the better part of a day, but that's on my tractor and I'm not in a hurry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts