Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working in the shed yesterday I heard this suspiciously loud BAM !!! Now MrsMassey should NOT have been trying to pepper me with the shotgun again, so I took a walk around the Ponderosa only to find the my trusty rusty Massey Harris 30 parked by the woodpile listing to the left.

Man the left rear just plain blew out...now of course it was dry rotted and had at least one spot where the sidewall was separated so badly the tube was sticking out....but THAT wasn't any reason to give up the ghost just yet. They still had YEARS of service in them, well maybe not.... they were the originals from '50 or '51. Anybody have a spare 13.6 x 38 in their back pocket ?????

Maybe I'll just strip the rubber and weld some angle iron crossways of the rims.....That'll solve the flat tire issue for good !!! (On THAT one anyway)

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune Wendell, but ifn we fixed everything before it broke, we'd never have any fun :!: :lol:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Man ya just can't count on anything holding up anymore :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: One little whole and the whole thing goes BOOM :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Man think of the traction ya could get with some angle iron on those wheels and put her in high gear and could double as an exercise machine :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
Well at least you weren't heading out to get it and do some work when it blew. Then you wouldda just thought it was being lazy. :D :lol: ;)
And use channel on the rims that'll give you twice as many lugs per piece and more pulling power. :idea: :mrgreen: :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Wendell as far as I'm concerned sounds like it was bad from the factory. If it wasn't it would have lasted as long as the other one. If I were you I would write the factory and see if they would stand behind it, that is if there still in buisness which from the sounds of it there probably not, and if they are let us know the brand so we don't make the mistake of buying any of them. While your at it write the tube company to because undoubtedly {is that a word} the tire company is going to try and blame them. Come to think of it maybe you shouldn't they would just try and put a spin on it "TRACTOR TIRES GOOD FOR 60 YEARS" sort of thing. ;) I've been thinking while writing this usually a persons first instinct is right. I bet if you remember real hard the tire blew just after you bent over to pick up the part you were looking for which means the pepper from MrsMassey's shotgun went right over you hitting the tire. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Wendell, I don't think you want the 2 I have here. Bought the pressed steel centers for my 333 at Gary Easton's auction and the tires and rims came with them. Your tire probably will hold more air then these 2 :eek: :lol:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Wendell just why are you complaining about that tire blowing out? You came out lucky I think.
If your wife had that shot gun out at you ,you might not of seen that tire blow out for a good long time .

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
I'll bet the tire was made in the USA :!:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Is there any kind of warrentee left on them tires???????
Youd think they were only broke in by now :lol:
those tires should be easy to find they were on alot of tractors ;) I have 2 that are flat myself :lol:

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sure am glad you guys are sympathetic with my "tire quality" issue. Of course, the more I think about it, Gordon may be on to something with his scenario...I'm gonna have to go check the shotgun...maybe go CSI on MrsMassey and check for "GSR" on her cheek or trigger finger. :lol: :lol: :lol: ...but then I don't know if shotguns leave gun shot residue on the hands of the "trigger-man" (or woman)...Sooo many questions, so many questions. You think forgetting our 36th anniversary has anything to do with it ??? :shock: :shock: :? :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

And it rained all day today, so the old 30 still is sitting low on the left...

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bertman said:
Is there any kind of warrentee left on them tires???????
Youd think they were only broke in by now :lol:
those tires should be easy to find they were on alot of tractors ;) I have 2 that are flat myself :lol:
Yeah, Bertman..."FTS" seems to be a common affliction amongst those that have old tractors and a thin wallet...Flat Tire Syndrome.
Now, should I weld BigDave's channel iron at an angle to clear the mud better, or straight across the rims to get a more rhythmic bounce while running on the pavement in road gear ??? :? :? :? :?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts