Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 354 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Replaced a bad bearing in a 3 point disc, changed fuel filters on a Long 445 tractor, and sawed a few logs for next winter's firewood supply.

Post some of your daily accomplishments here.

Reactions: rideonmowers

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
does sleeping count?

Actually I dont dare set foot in the garage since it flooded and turned into a skating rink.
Otherwise when it was muddy out. I backdragged with the snow plow. Driving in reverse I would set the plow down in a muddy puddle and pull the mud down the frozen driveway. So instead of having a skating rink from rain and refreeze, we now have mud smeared across the ice patch and we have traction.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
I finally made it out to my quonset building and got my toys running after a long winter

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
My bride's new living room decor is rustic and galvanized metal.
She showed me a photo of a shelf and asked, "Can you make this for a fireplace mantle?"
I replied "If it's what you really want." I had everything except the short nipples.

new mantle sized.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great! Quite the creative mind your bride has!;)

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
unloaded that new to me 880 and messed around all day with it, finally decided that it needs a carb rebuild. Windy as all get out and i felt it when i got in for supper

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I finally finished tearing down a shed that our December snowstorm started. As you can see the one we extended about 3 weeks ago is already full!

Reactions: SofaSpud

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Actually the new shed has been the main chore for many days, weather permitting. We have a few minor things left to complete it, and we are thankful and relieved to be nearly finished. The best thing, nobody got hurt!

Today we began our gardening for 2019. We planted Texas Sweet onion sets.

Reactions: SofaSpud

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
more work on the 880

·
Registered
28 Posts
Changed the oil on my Cockshutt 40. Also worked on tidying up wiring since build in winter and my frozen hands in a few places said good enough. Got a new oil pressure gauge so now all my gauges are new and have backlighting built in.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Drained a tire and broke loose the eight nuts holding the wheel locks, and snugged them back until I'm ready to change it.
Thank goodness for penetrating oil, flame, and three foot long black iron pipe for a cheater bar.
I don't think the nuts have been off in 55 years.
It lasted a whole lot longer than I thought it would when I bought the tractor 20 years ago.
This is how 55 years of calcium chloride eats a wheel from the inside out. Even if one doesn't know of any leaks.
A good used wheel has been procured and new tires are on the way.

IMG_20190329_174937.jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finished spreading fertilizer on pasture and hay land today. I have had to work around some gusty winds to get it done. We also transplanted about 500 tomato plants into larger plant trays. They should be ready for the garden in 3-4 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We planted 50 to 60 pounds of Kennebec taters and about 10 pounds of onion sets.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Serviced the lawnmower, tillers, (3 pt. and walk behind) utv, and garden tractor.
Ran the lawnmower around to knock down the high spots.

·
Premium Member
2,168 Posts
yesterday, changed oil and plugs in the Super 88

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sawing and splitting this hickory tree that finally succumbed to Mother Nature.

20190406_114318.jpg

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Got the wheel off the center of my D15. Clamps are frozen solid.....had to take the bolts out and use a big hammer to get them apart.
Found some "not good" rust spots under a couple of clamps. So the center got a good rust cleaning and painting. Still good and solid.
New wheel and tire should be here in the next few days. Luckily, I've got a good used set of clamps and stops ready to be put on.
While the paint coats were drying I was spraying a pasture and along the woods and hayfields for weeds. Coming to fill and clean the sprayer..... A front tire went flat. A piece of old fence wire through the tread. Had to move it from the lane before I could stop. Where the tire came off the wheel, I saw where it needed attention before I could remount the tire. Rust cleaned and painted the inside of the right front wheel for my 175 and put the tire half on. The old tube is too scale coated to patch and reuse. Don't have one one hand..... So I know what I'm gonna do tomorrow, besides till a spot and plant onions and taters, then mow the yard.

Where the tractor stopped......

IMG_20190416_200352 (2).jpg

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am already tired this morning from reading your adventures from yesterday. Hope today is much better. Playing in the dirt can be therapeutic.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
On this good Thursday we planted a little more garden. About 120 tomato plants in Miss Joanne's kitchen garden are in the ground, and the goal is to have tomato sandwiches before Independence Day.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
One of Grandma's gardening goals was to have a ripe tomato by the first of July.

I was always told one should plant taters, and onions on Good Friday, and it will produce a better crop.
The few times when it has been warm and dry enough to break ground and plant, it did make a good crop
Wednesday was warm and dry enough. Being as rain was forecast to move in Thursday, and it did.

1 - 20 of 354 Posts