Antique Tractors Forum banner

321 - 340 of 354 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Replaced an ammeter on the 88. Re caulked the skylights, we just recently installed. Replaced the light bulb in the pole light. Repaired the outside faucet. Washed and loaded the Cockshutt for the tractor drive today.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Took the Cockshutt to a friends house. We did a Tractor Drive along with some other pullers to help celebrate a retired farmers 90th birthday at a retirement home. About 50 tractors joined the drive along the way
Was a beautiful day and wonderful way to get the Cockshutt ran . Afterwards I found out it was a 40 mile drive. Arms are as red as the Internationals the drove along with us.
All in all, it was a great day!

Reactions: iko

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
The ground finally dried enough to get the rest of my gardens planted.
More sweetcorn, green beans, carrots, muskmelon, pumpkin, and watermelons.
I found some watermelons labeled Bush Sugarbaby and decided to add them just to see how they grow.
Yer basic garden variety afternoon pop up thundershower is watering everything now.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Dave glad your ground is drying out The other day when I put up the new mail box, ground was muddy all the way to 18". No sign of getting dryer

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Went to costco today. 2 pallets of TP disappeared in abut 10 minutes. Price of butter has dropped. $6.49 for 4 pounds. Last time ZI bought some itwas $8.99 for 4 pounds

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #326 (Edited)
We picked some broccoli in the mud today. The plants have never looked right from the beginning. They grew taller than any I ever remember having, and the crowns were smaller than a pint jar lid. I can only figure that our where weather did it. We put some fertilizer out and worked it into the mud hoping to save some plants from drowing. I also plowed out some new ditches and built a dam or berm to try to divert some runoff. Finally I got most of the hayfield surrounding our house mowed just before dark.

Oliverguy I love the view across the long hoods of your tractors. I wish we were more rural, because a nice tractor ride sure seems like a nice way to relax.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #327
Changed the hydraulic oil and filter of the IH 574 this morning . A big thanks to Miss Joanne for saving me from getting up from under the tractor so much by handing me or fetching things I needed. The rain began around noon so I spent most of the afternoon in the shop putting up tools, scattered nuts, bolts, tractor parts, and gathering some trash. The final chore, I hope was just completed. We bathed our 3 dogs.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Garden finally got dry enough bearly to plant tomatoes and green peppers. Not going to plant any thing else until July. Green beans do better for us in the fall

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
Like you Steve we have waiting for some drying. Today and yesterday we planted a little more garden. We replanted some that we had planted over two weeks ago just before our wet spell. I also mowed and teddered hay which should be baled tomorrow. Then we have more showers headed our way by Thursday.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Rolled our hay yesterday and tucked it under shelter, weeded and planted a little more garden.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
Been putting up hay and working on equipment since Sunday. Three out of five pieces of equipment decided to give me problems.
Finished pulling the last bales out of the field and was cleaning garden until an hour ago when the rains poured down.

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #332
Yesterday afternoon after the morning farmers market I mowed about 9 acres of hay. The last field I was in gave the haybine all it wanted. Just hope it will dry by Tuesday.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
The clouds and wind kept the dew from settling last night. It was nice to start about eight o' clock and mow the yard and around the outbuildings while it was still fairly cool.
Got the 'taters hilled. The last fifteen feet as the rain began about quarter past eleven. Spent yesterday weeding and cultivating the garden, and putting up 'mater cages.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Seeing as how there are no shows here at present, my tractors are being used around our property for odd jobs and saving back breaking work.

The Chamberlain 9G fitted with rear jib crane carrying an old windmill head which I cut up for scrap and salvaged some steel.

John Deere 4040 carting a load of firewood in for our fire for the winter which has started here now.

Cutting firewood with PTO driven saw bench. This wood was cut from a garden tidy up where we planted a lot of trees about 15 years ago.

After the clean-up.

Pushing up a levy bank to help control water run-off should we get any more heavy rain in the future. This was done late February and no decent drought breaking rain since then

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #335
Nice old and new equipment John, and glad to see them at work!
I have spent lots of hours over the last 3 days in my hayfields. Mowing, teddering, raking, baling, and moving the rolls to shelters is close to done till the next dry spell. I had 2 flat tires, thankfully not on tractors, and some snags along the way. I have about 30 rolls left to and some equipment to get sheltered before the rain gets here later today.

·
Administrator
4,004 Posts
The lift cylinders kits for my hay tedder came this morning, so I just finished rebuilding those.
90 degrees and humid outside,still awaiting the cold front to move through. No breeze at the workbench.
So I'll wait 'tilll after supper when the shade hits where the tedder's sitting to put them on.
Radiator for my tractor is due to be delivered tomorrow. I also need to change the manifold on it and a temp gauge that works,
but what holds the glass on the inside is falling apart into the bottom of the gauge. Have all the parts, just needed incentive.
That's tomorrow's project.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Today must have been cylinder day
I went to town and picked up 3 out of the 4 i had rebuilt

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice old and new equipment John, and glad to see them at work!
I have spent lots of hours over the last 3 days in my hayfields. Mowing, teddering, raking, baling, and moving the rolls to shelters is close to done till the next dry spell. I had 2 flat tires, thankfully not on tractors, and some snags along the way. I have about 30 rolls left to and some equipment to get sheltered before the rain gets here later today.
Seeing as how there are no shows here at present, my tractors are being used around our property for odd jobs and saving back breaking work.

The Chamberlain 9G fitted with rear jib crane carrying an old windmill head which I cut up for scrap and salvaged some steel.
View attachment 20842

John Deere 4040 carting a load of firewood in for our fire for the winter which has started here now.
View attachment 20843

Cutting firewood with PTO driven saw bench. This wood was cut from a garden tidy up where we planted a lot of trees about 15 years ago.
View attachment 20844

After the clean-up.
View attachment 20847

View attachment 20845

Pushing up a levy bank to help control water run-off should we get any more heavy rain in the future. This was done late February and no decent drought breaking rain since then
View attachment 20846
Just finished our yard major cleanup now (after about 6 weeks) and this last load on my dozer transporter tilt bed trailer is destined for a burning pile out in our paddock instead of feeding this through my mulcher as most of these branches were from a very hard & knarly woody weed type shrub (probably about 100yrs old.
20200618_131751.jpg

Dumping the load with the wheels up on a levy bank. The body is in balance hence no hydraulic lift cylinder is fitted.
20200618_133234.jpg

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Tied up the loose canes on my blackberries this morning before it got too hot. Was happy to see what could be the best crop I've ever had. 1" of rain overnight was great for them also

·
Super Moderator
7,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #340
Hot and bright sun popped out today after a cool, wet week. Gathered some squash and cukes this morning. Sprayed kitchen garden maters for the blight too. Gardens and crops are wilting from our weather extremes. I have been trying to make them comfortable as best as I can by spraying for diseases and fertilizing to combat leaching. Heading to the big garden to spray and check things out. It's hard to see much progress.

321 - 340 of 354 Posts