Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was asked on Face book before and I thought I would share what exactly it will take to do a true good job (believe me, this is why it would cast big bucks to do it right).

Not trying to scare you Ken. Yet this is what it would take to properly do anything that is cast iron.

The head or part to be brazed or welded (with nickle rod) would need to be stripped of extra parts, ie valves and springs.

It can be done if you know how to weld. The head cracked area will need a 60 degree groove the length of the crack. You need a fire pit with air from the bottom. Build a bituminous fire (for the head it may be 200 pounds of coal). As the fire is going, place the head in the fire. Maybe 50 to 75 pounds of coal to start the fire. you will need to rotate the head in the fire to get uniform heating. When it is a dull orange, take it out of the fire and lay it on some clean sand. Hook up the ground and with a nickel rod, weld your bead into the head. (you dont want a wind blowing on the casting at all, if there is a wind, exhaust vent, use some concrete block to stop the air flow). When your done welding, put it back into the fire. Bury it with more coal. Then bury the coal with the sand. Let no air get to the base of the fire. Let it smother itself. It will take 2 days for it to cool off. After cooling, remove from the coal and inspect. You should be fully repaired. Use a sanding wheel to clean up the weld, maybe even a scotch brite pad if you want to get rid of the sanding marks. Sand blast the weld after if you want the cast look after it is painted.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts