Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wheat around here has already come to a head, probably a very early wheat harvest. Coming home from work today, say several fields with corn up already

·
Registered
311 Posts
Seems like everything is 2 weeks early around here. Lots of corn in the ground and some beans. I might plant some beans next week too, it would be the earliest ever for me.....mike

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
Yall may be a little ahead of us. I haven't seen any corn, and some wheat is beginning to show its heads. We are dry here and that is slowing things.

·
Registered
926 Posts
We are going to have wheat here this year. We have been having showers nothing large but showers and this year the heads look very good. First crop for some farms in 2 years. It'll probably be early but won't speculate on when. Cattle are starting to trickle back into this area so theres a lot of optomism that the long dry spell may be broken.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,862 Posts
A lot of wheat is growing in Easten NC. It is thick, has headed out, and seems to be short. The heads are look smaller than usual. I am not very knowledgeable about wheat, but the local wheat is taller which means more straw at least. Eastern NC is very dry too and got very lottle rain over the weekend. I saw a few growers out planting and working land yesterday on the way home from the coast. They were producing a fair amount of dust.
A few tobacco fields were planted, but a lot of ground has been prepared and lies in waiting.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
mike1111 said:
Seems like everything is 2 weeks early around here. Lots of corn in the ground and some beans. I might plant some beans next week too, it would be the earliest ever for me.....mike
Here's something to think about Mike. Last year my renter planted half his beans on my property about this time of year, then the rains hit.
The back field didn't dry up enough until the end of June, first of July, so he could get the rest planted. The beans he planted early had the
best foliage I had seen for soybeans around here for years. The late beans didn't grow near as tall or leafy, but he said he got a third better
yield from the late planted beans over the early ones, and they were the same seed lot. Even though we got pretty dry here after the middle of Aug. :?

Right now the wheat here is coming in bud. Yesterday, when I was coming, in I noticed rows of corn poping through the ground. It was planted exactly two weeks ago tomorrow.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Just found out about an hour ago one of the producers is running some test cuts this afternoon. Am sure the moisture will be way high. Definately its the earliest i can remember. Most of the wheats 2-3 weeks from being ready. The combines are definately starting to trickle in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts