Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, has any one replaced the points with a pointless out fit? I did and lost the directions. On the new setup there two wires, one black and one red. Now. Where do they go? Anybody have the answer....? JERRY

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
I have no answer because I have no clue as to what you are working on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jim, what I have 1947 Ford 8N with front distributor converted to no points. The coil has been relocated. Now the distributor has a cover where the old coil sat. From that cover two wires come out. Black and red and the coil wire, that is no problem. I need to know where the black and red wires go?

·
Super Moderator
8,969 Posts
Hopefully some others will offer help. All my old tractors have points ignition. Starting from that I would read carefully any instructions you have. Also remember that if the tractor still has a 6 volt positive ground system , the red is positive, and has to connect to the positive side which is the ground. The positive battery cable would be connected to ground, and.the black wire would be the negative and connected to the starter side of the system. An ohm meter will tell you. If the tractor has a 12 volt system the negative and positive battery cables will be reversed. The net may help you. Search for any folks that have installed your pointless system. YouTube videos have helped me with problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for you’re comments. I read over some of the literature and I think I know how it go’s. The red wire go’s to the plus on the new coil and the black go’s to the negative side. Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts