Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did some research on the 420w that I just bought. Apparently it has two cylinders for the three point hitch. One for each side. That is why there are two levers side by side to operate the hitch. The cylinders can be operated together or each one on it's own. Nobody seems to know why they did it that way. Everybody has a different idea about how to use them. I have to wait ten days for the book and then I don't know if it will tell me anything about the two levers. It seems like a very odd way to operate the hitch. Can someone tell me if I can just fasten the two levers together and use them that way. thank you for the help

·
Administrator
4,459 Posts
I knew Farmall did that with their little cultivator tractors, but I didn't know John Deere did.
Separate control levers for each side gave one the option to adjust, raise, or lower one side of cultivators independently from the other. It was a very useful option before the advent of no-till / spray-everything-with-chemicals farming. When folks actually cultivated crops.
Your operators' manual should explain in more detail.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Called dual touch-o-matic. Operates lift arms independently
John Deere Service Manual SM2019 has 2 sections (180 &190) describing the adjustment and operation of the Touch-O- Matic systems and Hydraulic System....James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts