Antique Tractors Forum banner

Yee haw I got us a rim!

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  DerickS 
#1 ·
This rim was not with the A when we bought it but came with the tractor, my buddy brought it down for us so we can change out the badly bent one. My question is....this tire feels and sounds lihe its loaded, will loaded tires be tougher to steer? was it common to load the fronts? I'm glad to get this one so we can change the front tires that are badly worn and cracked....gettin closer :)

See less See more
#3 ·
My guess is that if you are using it in pulls you want it front end heavy. Mine are not loaded that I can tell, yet it has the adjustable wide front end on my 60.

Our club has a mandate that if you raise the front end 12" your disqualified in a pull. Our pulls are only bragging rights, a ribbon, we are supposed to return the trophy. My friend Greg got a trophy and kept it, first he ever won.

Back to your steering. What did you find out when you jacked it up in the air?

#4 ·
I loaded all my front tires on the big trctors. It puts the weight right on the ground instead of on the steering components. But almost all my tractors were FWA John Deeres. I did have a few plain front 4240 and 4040's. Farming they had fluid, road work I had extra wheels with 11Lx15 truck tires without fluid for them....James

#5 ·
Lovesthedrive said:
My guess is that if you are using it in pulls you want it front end heavy. Mine are not loaded that I can tell, yet it has the adjustable wide front end on my 60.

Our club has a mandate that if you raise the front end 12" your disqualified in a pull. Our pulls are only bragging rights, a ribbon, we are supposed to return the trophy. My friend Greg got a trophy and kept it, first he ever won.

Back to your steering. What did you find out when you jacked it up in the air?
I'll be back up by the tractor this coming weekend so can try it out

#6 ·
That tire itself will make it harder to steer. The bigger the "footprint", the harder it will steer.
I would suggest putting your ribbed tire on the rim, before putting it on your tractor.
Just my opinion. ;)

#7 ·
BigDaveinKY said:
That tire itself will make it harder to steer. The bigger the "footprint", the harder it will steer.
I would suggest putting your ribbed tire on the rim, before putting it on your tractor.
Just my opinion. ;)
Thanks Dave, that tire is just whats on the rim when I got it. I have two skinny ribbed tires just waiting for this rim and the one good on already on the tractor. I will try to get them on this weekend and do some other suggestions about the steering. jacking it up and turning the wheel to see if something is binding and tapping the brakes individually to see if the tractor will correct itself. I'm hoping its just the bad rim and crappy tires

#9 ·
I don't think it is real common to load the tires up front,but it can be done especially if you don't have normal weights for the front. Would be cheaper too! Weights can run into some money. As far as making it harder to turn I'm not sure,but wouldnt be surprised if it did. I found out on my "A" that after I bought new replacment wheels it made the gab between the tires wider. The old wheels almost made the tires touch at the bottom. The dish of the new wheels were deeper then the original. This made it harder to turn when I was trying to turn is smaller areas and going slow (such as parking it in the garage) but out in the open it isn't much different

#10 ·
Something you may want to look for that I discovered on my 60. If the place where the steering rod from the steering wheel mounts up on the gear box, is metal on metal, you may need a thick gasket. I tried to use permatex and the gears bound up that I had no steering on the tractor at all. I had a piece of quarter inch rubber laying around, after about a half hour of cutsing and futsing I had a worthwhile gasket, and it steered easily.

#11 ·
Lovesthedrive said:
Something you may want to look for that I discovered on my 60. If the place where the steering rod from the steering wheel mounts up on the gear box, is metal on metal, you may need a thick gasket. I tried to use permatex and the gears bound up that I had no steering on the tractor at all. I had a piece of quarter inch rubber laying around, after about a half hour of cutsing and futsing I had a worthwhile gasket, and it steered easily.
Wow, I'll take a look! Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.