Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,968 Posts
We have been in a "gray" season for almost a month. We have had more cool, cloudy damp days than sunny ones. Haying and planting is far behind schedule. What was planted before this is becoming diseased and yellowing. It has no root system because of the weather. It will change eventually.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Too hot here already. Been sweating like a full flowing stream for a week. Bring on winter. I can always throw in another chunk of wood to warm the house and put on more clothing for my body.

Summer sucks and if you did not have air at work, in your car/truck and the house you would say summer sucked too.

:D Al

·
Machines Lover from Finla
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Too hot here already. Been sweating like a full flowing stream for a week. Bring on winter. I can always throw in another chunk of wood to warm the house and put on more clothing for my body.

Summer sucks and if you did not have air at work, in your car/truck and the house you would say summer sucked too.

Here in Finland We mostly have 2,5 warm summer months... if We have luck...

·
Registered
145 Posts

The only thing I'd change is bring on Fall, but other than that, total agreement

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Well Al... me and you are on the absolute opposite ends of the spectrum.... I worked my whole career outside and I hate winter. Troubleshooting commercial/industrial HVAC controls and equipment just cannot be done comfortably with gloves on and the heavier a fellow has to dress to drag tools and parts up a ladder that's set on ice the harder it is to climb off it and onto an ice or snow covered roof. Many, many times I've had to park the service truck with the bumper against my ladder to keep it from sliding out as I climbed.

Snow covered metal roofs are dangerous to get onto and off of...not even mentioning that the snow hides the fibreglass roofing panels that are positioned on many roofs to give more interior lighting. Stepping on one of those in the snow carrying a bucket full of tools can result in a nasty fall through the ceiling and probably a good chance of some bodily harm.

Now summer..... I can always get down to a pair of shorts and be shirtless while working up there. I'd many times wear denim shorts under a pair of bibs...get to the roof and drop the bibs until a trip inside was required. Gimme sweat any day of the week over cold fingers and icicles hanging from my nose while working outside.

However I am the first to admit there are different strokes for different folks and not everybody is inclined to think the same.....and THAT's a GOOD thing. Winter will be here soon enough Al...just hang in there sir.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well Al... me and you are on the absolute opposite ends of the spectrum.... I worked my whole career outside and I hate winter. Troubleshooting commercial/industrial HVAC controls and equipment just cannot be done comfortably with gloves on and the heavier a fellow has to dress to drag tools and parts up a ladder that's set on ice the harder it is to climb off it and onto an ice or snow covered roof. Many, many times I've had to park the service truck with the bumper against my ladder to keep it from sliding out as I climbed.

Snow covered metal roofs are dangerous to get onto and off of...not even mentioning that the snow hides the fibreglass roofing panels that are positioned on many roofs to give more interior lighting. Stepping on one of those in the snow carrying a bucket full of tools can result in a nasty fall through the ceiling and probably a good chance of some bodily harm.

Now summer..... I can always get down to a pair of shorts and be shirtless while working up there. I'd many times wear denim shorts under a pair of bibs...get to the roof and drop the bibs until a trip inside was required. Gimme sweat any day of the week over cold fingers and icicles hanging from my nose while working outside.

However I am the first to admit there are different strokes for different folks and not everybody is inclined to think the same.....and THAT's a GOOD thing. Winter will be here soon enough Al...just hang in there sir.
I hear ya, but I have a little different idea. I work for a town, so when it snows, I have to go to work. If a truck breaks down, we have to be under it. If it's out on the road, it's cold laying on your back in the snow. When it's in the garage, salt sand, ice water, and hot hydraulic oil are dripping on you. I want to wake up one morning, look outside to see snow, and sit down with a coffee to think how nice it is to not have to go to work in it this time. I don't so much mind the sweat, but I can't tell you how ticked I get when I can't see past my glasses for the sweat. Even more so when I'm wearing some manner of sweatband to stop it, and in 10 minutes, it's too soaked to work anymore

·
Machines Lover from Finla
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Winter is here TOO soon... and You are right about You say..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts